'Amazing Reving CRM' MK11 (I've got one now :-( )

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: 'Amazing Reving CRM' MK11 (I've got one now :-( )

Post by knackeredMk1 » 27 May 2009, 18:10

Possibly little bit of confusion here (at least to me :roll: ).

Lowering the needle means putting the clip towards the top of the needle (droping it down in the slide). This will make the bike run leaner. - not what you want :!:

Lowering the clip on the needle like FMtB says is the way to richen.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 27 May 2009, 18:36

knackeredMk1 wrote:Possibly little bit of confusion here (at least to me :roll: ).

Lowering the needle means putting the clip towards the top of the needle (droping it down in the slide). This will make the bike run leaner. - not what you want :!:

Lowering the clip on the needle like FMtB says is the way to richen.
Correct mate, i perhaps should have been ,more , explanatory.
We want as much fuel as possible, to , prove , a fault.
Turn on the fuel only long enough to fill carb, ;) just in case.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

drillam
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by drillam » 27 May 2009, 19:29

[quote="knackeredMk1"]Lowering the [b]clip on the needle [/b]like FMtB says is the way to richen.[/quote]

Which is what I meant to say, sorry, I'm just wearing these teeth in for the dog

drillam
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by drillam » 27 May 2009, 20:59

I removed the bolts that hold the airbox in place and sqeezed it all to one side so I could get a good look down the throat of the carb whilst it was running. Also lowered the needle clip to the bottom grove, thereby raising the needle thereby enrichening the mixture.
Starting with the choke on as normal wasn't possible but it caught eventually with the choke off.
As usual the symptom of revs not dying down were not there when cold and I went for a ride around the garden for a few minutes to warm her up and the symptoms did reapear but not nearly so pronounced. it was ALMOST OK although it still hung up just a little and not always.
Lowered the needle by one groove and the symptoms were enhanced although take off from lower revs were better.
Lowered the needle by one more groove to the middle slot and the symptoms were much worse. It hung up on much higher revs and it did it every time.
Bear in mind that I have as yet not tried Mike's suggestion of partially blocking the air suplly as I ran out of time.
Whatdyareckon then?
What should I try tomorrow.
I feel a little more encouraged now but not sure why. probably coz I was able to ride the bugger almost prperly for a few minutes.
Cheers for you patience with this fellas, it' very much appreciated.
millard

PS
this was the plug before I started fiddling today, ie, after yesterday's last post

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/ ... C01702.jpg

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 27 May 2009, 22:32

It looks like your pilot jet is running lean, which it could do after the amount of gunk that you put through/past it. Have you changed it for a new one :?: Sometimes it is not possible to blow jets out and replacement is neccessary.

Whilst you are at it also buy one 1 and perhaps 2 sizes bigger.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 27 May 2009, 22:58

drillam wrote:I removed the bolts that hold the airbox in place and sqeezed it all to one side so I could get a good look down the throat of the carb whilst it was running. Also lowered the needle clip to the bottom grove, thereby raising the needle thereby enrichening the mixture.
Starting with the choke on as normal wasn't possible but it caught eventually with the choke off.
As usual the symptom of revs not dying down were not there when cold and I went for a ride around the garden for a few minutes to warm her up and the symptoms did reapear but not nearly so pronounced. it was ALMOST OK although it still hung up just a little and not always.
Lowered the needle by one groove and the symptoms were enhanced although take off from lower revs were better.
Lowered the needle by one more groove to the middle slot and the symptoms were much worse. It hung up on much higher revs and it did it every time.
Bear in mind that I have as yet not tried Mike's suggestion of partially blocking the air suplly as I ran out of time.
Whatdyareckon then?
What should I try tomorrow.
I feel a little more encouraged now but not sure why. probably coz I was able to ride the bugger almost prperly for a few minutes.
Cheers for you patience with this fellas, it' very much appreciated.
millard

PS
this was the plug before I started fiddling today, ie, after yesterday's last post

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/ ... C01702.jpg
It's all ways a job to tell for certain, from a photo, but, i would say, there seems enough oil getting into the system, but that plug looks border line for mixture, I.E. slightly lean.
I fear you still have a source of air, being drawn on intermittently, that's weakening the mixture ,and, giving run away combustion.
Mike

drillam
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by drillam » 28 May 2009, 11:57

[quote="knackeredMk1"]It looks like your pilot jet is running lean, which it could do after the amount of gunk that you put through/past it. Have you changed it for a new one :?: Sometimes it is not possible to blow jets out and replacement is neccessary.

Whilst you are at it also buy one 1 and perhaps 2 sizes bigger.[/quote]

Knackered
I've stripped the carb 3 times now and blown through with carb cleaner and an air line from my compressor. I'm as confident as I can be that it's all clear.
Is it possible that a blocked jet can cause the symptoms I'm experiencing to occur only when hot?
It's fine when cold, which keeps leading me back to the thought that it's a leak caused by heat expansion at a joint or seal somewhere.

[quote="fallenmikethebike"]"It's all ways a job to tell for certain, from a photo, but, i would say, there seems enough oil getting into the system, but that plug looks border line for mixture, I.E. slightly lean.
I fear you still have a source of air, being drawn on intermittently, that's weakening the mixture ,and, giving run away combustion.
Mike"[/quote]

Yeah I think so Mike..
That's what I'm going to continue investigating today. I'm gonna try a half cup of Castrol R in the box and see if I can smell it burning. That should check out the engine to gearbox gasket. If that's OK then I'm gonna remove the carb and reed block and fill the cases with petrol. That should show any leaks on the crank seals.
Will report back later.
cheers
Millard

drillam
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by drillam » 28 May 2009, 13:30

I just ran it around the garden again for 5 mins until the revs got higher and wouldn't die down but there was no smell of the "Castrol R" I put in the box, so I'd say the crankcases to gearbox gasket is OK.
Then I removed the gennie and filled the cases with petrol and can see no leaks anywhere.
I'm now fairly sure that the leak is not on the bottom end and the reed block and carb joints are all OK.
Only leaves the top end.
I'll drain the petrol from the cases and go around the base and head joints again.
If there's no improvement I'm gonna take it to a mechanic coz I'm fecked off with it now and stumped to be honest.

millard

Jonorow
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jonorow » 28 May 2009, 15:56

I thought about something while chating to mike last night about this, i had a problem a while back where it started smoking excessively, and checking the oil pump i found it was way out, but had no adjustment left. oh checking the cables i found that the joint in the cable had pulled out on the oil cable outer, so increaseing the oil.
I wonder if this might be an issue with you? might be holding the throttle slide up slightly, this would be not so much of an issue on a cold engine but then when its warm it will show up more.
Just a thought, but it seems anything is worth a try now.
Jon
98 (94) CRM250 MK3
96 ST1100PT
99 NT650V Deauville (Gone to roads new)
http://www.rymcc.co.uk

drillam
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by drillam » 28 May 2009, 16:28

Jon
I adjusted the pump and all seems fine. I prised the air box hose to one side so I could watch the action of the throttle slide as I blipped it whilst hot and cold and it returns very positively.
Thanks for the thought though.
Looks like it's off to the mechanic as soon as I can get a hold of the guy.
Goes against the grain though coz I haven't taken a bike to a mechanic for many years now apart from MOT's.
cheers
Millard

PS
unless anyone thinks of anything else?
All suggestions gratefuly received.

MarkF12
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by MarkF12 » 28 May 2009, 17:32

If the tickover is taking a while to settle it may be dragging air in around the reed blocks or inlet rubbers .Try getting the bike warm and upright on a stand spray engine start (ether) around these areas any change in engine revs shows an air leak,,.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 28 May 2009, 17:33

Millard, some one hasn't altered the profile /cutaway on the slide body, by any chance have they,? it should be fairly obvious from the file marks, but straws and clutching spring to mind, the fact it ran without issue before is the most perplexing :roll:
Another, long shot might be , is the piston the correct one, correct skirt length etc.
Mike

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 May 2009, 17:36

Do try the pilot jet change.

drillam
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by drillam » 28 May 2009, 18:24

[quote="MarkF12"]If the tickover is taking a while to settle it may be dragging air in around the reed blocks or inlet rubbers .Try getting the bike warm and upright on a stand spray engine start (ether) around these areas any change in engine revs shows an air leak,,.[/quote]

Mark, tried it a few days back with WD40, then did the soapy water after pressurising the cases.
Thanks though for the suggestion.
Millard

drillam
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by drillam » 28 May 2009, 18:28

[quote="fallenmikethebike"]Millard, some one hasn't altered the profile /cutaway on the slide body, by any chance have they,? it should be fairly obvious from the file marks, but straws and clutching spring to mind, the fact it ran without issue before is the most perplexing :roll:
Another, long shot might be , is the piston the correct one, correct skirt length etc.
Mike[/quote]

Mike, the cutaway looks good as did the piston. I doubt if anyone's been buggering about with either. Apart from knackered bearings it looked very well maintained for a 20 year old bike and surprisingly standard.

[quote="fallenmikethebike"]the fact it ran without issue before is the most perplexing :roll:
Mike[/quote]

Yep, agreed. Any non standard component would, I feel, have shown before I drowned and then rebuilt it.
I'm more and more convinced that the drowning did it and whatever it did was not cured by my subsequent rebuild