running power?

jim_CRM
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
running power?

Post by jim_CRM » 18 Jul 2009, 20:01

Hi all, just a quick question, im currently building a cr with a crm engine in, and its getting ready to be put on the road and in for its mot, just wanting to put a horn on it, however i have found a few live feeds with the bike running and they are only showing 2.65 volts, with the multimetre ( however this mulitimetre has been playing up and may be faulty), but even when revved up and wired up to the horn, it only makes the horn vibrate and not even produce any noise, unless you put your ear right up against it, (the horn is brand new 12v one).

So i was just wondering how you get your horn to work with no battery, just the magneto, which is just the standered crm one.I would of though tit would produce enough power to make the horn work?
Any help would be super
Thanks

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: running power?

Post by fallenmikethebike » 18 Jul 2009, 20:32

:( Hmmm, i had this problem with a ,kdx , you may have to cast about for a low wattage Horn.
Having said that, there really ought to enough power to run a horn.
Where did you acquire the horn you are currently trying to make work?
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 18 Jul 2009, 23:20

I have had a non-working horn virtually every time I've rebuilt a bike.

1.) check that the multimeter is correct or just stick a 12v bulb across the horn terminals.

2.) (This has always been my problem) the horn is not adjusted corectly. There are various systems of adusting the horn but most involve some kind of screw and lock bolt adjustment. - Just fiddle with this until you get it sounding correctly.

jim_CRM
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jim_CRM » 19 Jul 2009, 01:09

Hi, thanks for the replies, got given the horn when i bought the bike, like i say brand new and tested it on a good working battery and its spot on, so that should rule out the horn itself and the adjustment?
Think my best bet will be to get a accurate multimetre and see what power i am actually producing, but again saying that with the horn wired up, the small vibration it was given when connected wouldnt surpise me if only 2 volts was getting to it, im not sure, any more suggestions? il have anouther play tomorrow, thought it would power up a little horn no problems.
Thanks again
Jim

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 19 Jul 2009, 12:06

Horn is fine as you tested across another power source. Problem is elsewhere.

Rec/rec :?:

jim_CRM
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jim_CRM » 19 Jul 2009, 14:33

yep, tried a different second hand rec of a doner bike and still the same, so think il swap the stator plate over and see if it sorts it, any ideas how much it would cost roughly to get them re-wired?
Thanks
Jim

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 19 Jul 2009, 17:35

jim_CRM wrote:yep, tried a different second hand rec of a doner bike and still the same, so think il swap the stator plate over and see if it sorts it, any ideas how much it would cost roughly to get them re-wired?
Thanks
Jim
:( About £100, from West Country Rewinds , see my previous post on subject.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

vilguy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by vilguy » 20 Jul 2009, 15:15

If all you want to do is power the horn, bung a small battery on it for the mot...

On my cr500 project the lighting system is a real pain in the arse and im going to have to wait for service honda to finish redesigning their lighting kit. And at £400 for it (thats with no actual lights..its just the stator and cover) its a bit on the salty side of FOOKIN expensive.

So temporarily ive built my own wiring harness with a 3 cell lithium battery pack which powers the HID headlight, horn, and rear lights for around 5 hours. This extends to around 3 weeks of continous running without the headlight on! (led's are great ;) )

Mind you can run a horn off a 9v battery pretty easily.

It would be a quick way of getting it through the mot.

jim_CRM
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jim_CRM » 20 Jul 2009, 17:46

yeah i was thinking of maybe doing that, just putting a small battery in the air box or something, just for the MOT, think i will do that, cheers. I am deffinetly wanting a cr 500 on the road in the next 3-4 years, and going of that price i think il buy one done, or have no lights, thats just unreal.
Thanks alot for the advice
Jim

vilguy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by vilguy » 21 Jul 2009, 10:11

i looked at buying one done, but getting a proper pukka one thats had everything done, your looking at between £3500 - £5500 for the best. ALOT of money.

Ive spent £2500 on mine so far and its still on the original steel frame. I have a crf450 frame that i will do the conversion with. But thats a way off yet.

Good luck with the mot bud.

jim_CRM
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jim_CRM » 25 Jul 2009, 14:55

cheers mate, i will eventually get it in for its mot, i hope :)....

Hello again, bit of a update on the problem, I changed the rec for another good one and still 2.50volts, (rules out the rec at fault), i changed the whole magneto and stator for another one ( i thought this would deffintly fix it) still 2.50volts Rules out that as the problem :( soooo i was wondering wether it could be down to the cdi unit? maybe loosing power through that?, its the last thing i can think of as there isnt really anything else? What do you think? Any help would be great.
Thanks
Jim

Jonorow
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Jonorow » 26 Jul 2009, 20:24

where are you, testing the power from? it seams strange that you are getting low readings after changin everything. check the reading coming from the reg/rec this will tell you the 12v supply you need, or change the setting to ac and check the input for the unit, ground to earth. if your still getting low readings your replacemnet coil is also duff.
98 (94) CRM250 MK3
96 ST1100PT
99 NT650V Deauville (Gone to roads new)
http://www.rymcc.co.uk

jim_CRM
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jim_CRM » 26 Jul 2009, 22:00

Hi, ive just been testing it from the postive coming out of the rec, but also at all the other live feeds such as the lights, ignition etc, all reading the same, however when i first fitted the replacement magneto, i did get a reading of 5.50volts, but then later checked again and was just 2.50volts, il give it another run up when i have chance, and check all the lives for the voltage, like i say the cdi is the only thing i havnt changed, carnt see that effecting it myself though. Pretty sure it wont?
Thanks
Jim