Lights HID's

Chris
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Lights HID's

Post by Chris » 04 Dec 2004, 09:08

Thinking of converting my front headlight to a HID system (High Intensity Discharge). I have bought a set for my mountain bike......and the light is brighter on the bike, than my Audi A3 T Sport !!!.

Has anyone used / wired a HID system into a battery less wiring loom ?.

:o

Chris

threespeed
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
HID lights

Post by threespeed » 08 Dec 2004, 23:13

I didn't know you could buy them for bikes , but after mooching around I found autobulbsdirect.co.uk, they seem to sell all the bulbs I've ever heard of (and some I haven't). The installation I suspect isn't quite as simple as they make out - the kit includes a bulb , ballast resistor & what looks like a small wiring loom. I was becoming fairly interested ....until I looked at the price - £300ish!! then lost interest quickly.
I'd be curious to know how much your'e paying for the upgrade though.

Phil Neal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Phil Neal » 09 Dec 2004, 09:22

perhaps a moutainbike one could be wired in as an 'Auxilary' light, with a connector off 12v through a voltage stabiliser to the MTB light getting rid of batteries...

The hid lights apparently only take 35w to work so it would appear to be a good fit for the CRM, but if I had £300 to spend It wouldn't be on a new headlight, i'd get a 2nd set of wheels off ebay....

I was tempted to fit a 55/60 bulb inpace of the 35 and see what stops working as a result. but if you don't use your indicators (21w x 2) I can't see the problem (no pillion pegs, effectivly don't have to have blinkers for MOT, can of worms opened!) other than possibly melting the plastic...

chrizm
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by chrizm » 09 Dec 2004, 20:29

It looks like an earlier owner of my CRM fitted a bigger bulb coz its marked the inside of the headlight plastic! :(

You could probably fit mountain bike headlights easy enough with a voltage regulator off the 12v headlight feed & mount them somewhere?

What about the ufo headlight fairings are they not higher wattage? i will agree that the CRM headlight is pants. I try not to do to much night riding!
Knowledge is power!
CRM 250 MK 2
SV1000SZ Ltd Edition GSXR aniversary model