oil pump oil seal and balance shaft

warloks
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
oil pump oil seal and balance shaft

Post by warloks » 13 Jan 2016, 19:54

Hi everyone i cant find the oil pump oil seal on the micro fiche does anyone know where i can get one from i want to replace it as a precautionary measure.And is it possible to replace the balance shaft bearings without a major strip down or is it possible to remove the balance shaft altogether ? i cant believe i didnt replace the bearings when i rebuilt the engine i just overlooked it but i do remember checking all the bearings.I have a very slight rattle from the area of the balance shaft but other than that shes running like a dream :D

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: oil pump oil seal and balance shaft

Post by gregorious77 » 13 Jan 2016, 22:09

Balance shaft bearings can be done with engine in bike and minimal stripping (clutch and flywheel off).
It can be removed using a spacer but I have tried and it was too vibey for me alhough others dont mind.
Make or borrow the tool to get the bearing out though unless you want the greif I had. see thread below.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9744&hilit=balance

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by Eddie Evans » 14 Jan 2016, 15:26

The balance shaft bearing/shaft when it goes is a very distinctive high pitched whirling noise and not a slight rattle.
A slight rattle or knock sounds more like the clutch so you might be lucky and not have anything to do.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 14 Jan 2016, 16:23

[quote="Eddie Evans"]The balance shaft bearing/shaft when it goes is a very distinctive high pitched whirling noise and not a slight rattle.
A slight rattle or knock sounds more like the clutch so you might be lucky and not have anything to do.[/quote
+1 , they will go on for years with the bearing whining without any implications.
It could also be powervalve flutter.
I did balance shaft recently, it had whined since I bought it back in 2010.
I was lucky, in as much as mine came apart with the use of a socket as a drift.
If you do strip it, pay particular attention to the spacer washer on the shaft, other wise you have to get creative with an angle grinder to get it back in place :roll: :roll: speaking from experience :roll: .
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!