Generator cover

warloks
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Generator cover

Post by warloks » 06 Feb 2016, 15:15

Hi Guys and Girls,well i managed to finally get out on the bike last weekend for a 60 mile ride here in kent the other guys i went with had all quite new machinery gas gas wrs drzs ect and my bike didnt miss a beat only little issue i had was going through deepish water it must have flooded the generator as it would only like high reves for a few seconds after,anyway there is no gasket on that cover so can i seal it somehow and put a breather on it.To end a good day we decided on a bit of fun and had a drag race and guess what the crm smoked them all not bad for a 23 year old bike :D

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Generator cover

Post by fallenmikethebike » 06 Feb 2016, 16:13

There's no gasket on the generator cover as none is needed. The system is designed to run under water, which I have done fording some serious water crossings. Make sure the small drain down hole at the bottom of the housing is clear. A generous coating of ACF50 inside the generator helps prevent rusting.
Check where the carb breather hoses are located, and there not blocked. The carb overflow pipe go downwards, the breathers are best located up by the headstock. Put some sponge around the ends of the pipes to the ingress of " carp ".
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

warloks
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Re: Generator cover

Post by warloks » 06 Feb 2016, 21:24

thanks for the reply it only started to mess about when the water went into the generator it didnt go as far as the carb i know that you are right about the generator but electricity and water never go together so im having trouble getting my head around you saying its ok but being theres no gasket it must be as you say :BB