Balance shaft

Tim205
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Balance shaft

Post by Tim205 » 24 Apr 2016, 16:54

Hello folks, I'm a new member who's just purchased a mk2. I've had it running today and it's making a high pitched noise which I'm guessing is the balance shaft bearings. I'm not overly fussed as the bike was cheap. ive read that a lot of people just ride them without doing the bearings but I'd much rather be listening to a crisp 2 stroke noise than something like the wail of a banshee
Is it worth the hassle to do the bearings?
Has anybody done a how to guide on changing the balance shaft bearings? (I'm pretty good on the end of a spanner)

Thanks in advance folks

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Balance shaft

Post by knackeredMk1 » 24 Apr 2016, 17:09

Tim205
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Tim205 » 24 Apr 2016, 19:04

That's brilliant!!! Exactly what I needed, would you recommend doing both bearings and a new shaft? If the shaft is worn is it visible wear?

Thanks agian

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 24 Apr 2016, 19:23

Here you hit a snag. It is really best to replace both the bearing and the shaft as undoubtedly both are worn. As far as I know there are no shafts still available - you may find something different though?

So - if you want to still use the shaft you will have to get it machined and sleeved back to the original size. This has been done by several owners. Usually they use brass as the sleeve as less liable to wear. You fill have to find a machining shop to do the work unless you happen to own the machinery.

Bearings are also difficult to find. So you could get the shaft sleeved to a replacement bearing that has the same outer diameter and construction as the original.

Tim205
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Tim205 » 25 Apr 2016, 18:29

You weren't kidding about the bearings being hard to find. I've rang everywhere I can think of today and no one has one.

Tim205
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Tim205 » 26 Apr 2016, 22:03

Hi knackered mk1, thanks for your advice so far regarding the balance shaft. I've got the bike stripped down and the bearings removed. I've managed to find a needle roller with a slightly smaller OD and a friend of mine is turning me a collar to go around the bearing. I've just been reading another post and it mentioned about a blue washer. I'm assuming that's the one behind the bearing on the clutch side. I paid no attention to which way round it went when I stripped it down and now it's got me paranoid. .what difference does it make? And is there any way to tell which way it should go.

Thanks again

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 26 Apr 2016, 22:16

There is a Leisure Trail guide that shows you in diagrams. I think it is still in the FAQs ...........

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 26 Apr 2016, 22:32

Tim205 wrote:Hi knackered mk1, thanks for your advice so far regarding the balance shaft. I've got the bike stripped down and the bearings removed. I've managed to find a needle roller with a slightly smaller OD and a friend of mine is turning me a collar to go around the bearing. I've just been reading another post and it mentioned about a blue washer. I'm assuming that's the one behind the bearing on the clutch side. I paid no attention to which way round it went when I stripped it down and now it's got me paranoid. .what difference does it make? And is there any way to tell which way it should go.

Thanks again
Don't forget the thick spacer washer on the balancer shaft, it regulates the clearance of the weighted end from the casing.
It's a mare of a job to sort once the bearings in place :roll: :roll: yes another T shirt I have to wear.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

davecee92
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by davecee92 » 04 May 2016, 11:43

Hi i was wondering if there may have been a typo in the faq ? The bearing (91002KAE003) for the balancer shaft on fowlers shows the following dimensions 17x47x12 but on the faq it is 17x37x12.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 04 May 2016, 12:15

Fowlers have it wrong. Says 37 in the Honda parts manuals.