Main bearings

frostoff
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRm250AR
Main bearings

Post by frostoff » 10 Jul 2016, 09:49

Is it much of a job to replace the main bearings on my AR or should I send it to someone to do? if so any recommendations to where to have it done bearing in mind I live in Cornwall> :idea:

Speeddevice
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2
Re: Main bearings

Post by Speeddevice » 10 Jul 2016, 13:42

The hard part is splitting the case and being able to get the gearbox back together with everything in the right spot. Not impossible but it does take a bit of attention to detail and some fiddling to get it all right.

And you have to make sure the bearings have the right clearance. I think it is C3 which as slightly greater internal clearance for running at the elevated temperatures in the crankcase. Could be worthwhile truing the crank if you get it that far apart.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 10 Jul 2016, 16:33

frostoff wrote:Is it much of a job to replace the main bearings on my AR or should I send it to someone to do? if so any recommendations to where to have it done bearing in mind I live in Cornwall> :idea:
I would certainly advocate getting this done by a professional mechanic who will have all the various pullers and clamps to hand, not to mention the experience to bring to the task.
If your splitting the cases, you would want to be sure the big end has good length of service left in it.
You can get the whole engine couriered to L.T. or someone similar, get some quotes done and then have a think about it.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

frostoff
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRm250AR

Post by frostoff » 10 Jul 2016, 18:03

Thanks that is what I was thinking. will give L.T a ring and see what they say.