Need to know MK1 Timing curve / timing advance / CDI info

DFurno
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Need to know MK1 Timing curve / timing advance / CDI info

Post by DFurno » 07 Oct 2016, 00:36

Hi, I owned a MK1 in the US for the last 10 years and recently sold it. I've retained a spare CDI that I need to get some specs from.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any advance built into the MK1 cdi?
It is marked KAE CI575.

Looking through the wiring schematics, it appears that the MK1 uses a rectifier to make 12v DC power for the CDI and power valve servo. Is this correct?

The reason I'm asking is I have an 87 TW200 4 stroke that needs 9deg btdc at 1,300rpm, 29 deg at 6k rpm tapering back down to 25 deg at 9k rpm. Research tells me that many 2 strokes have a similar timing curve to what I need.

I have the bike running now on an AC CDI from a 2 stroke snowmobile but it is an older model that lacks any timing advance. I've tried several 'chinese' CDI's, and they do work, but they also lack the proper timing and only offer flat power. the adjustable chinese CDI's dont offer the correct adjustment. I'm capable of and willing to rewire to a DC CDI if I can find one with the correct timing advance.

Just looking for info on the MK1 timing advance built into the CDI if any.

Thanks

Dale.

Picture shows the TW200 timing

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Need to know MK1 Timing curve / timing advance / CDI inf

Post by knackeredMk1 » 07 Oct 2016, 08:52

I don't know of anyone who has that information.

DFurno
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: Need to know MK1 Timing curve / timing advance / CDI inf

Post by DFurno » 07 Oct 2016, 19:50

I appreciate the response. I will give it a try when I get back to the bike next week and if it runs, a timing light will tell if there is advance.

If it does not have advance, I will most likely post it and the power valve controller for sale.