Bottom end rebuild (AR)

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Bottom endrebuild (AR)

Post by gregorious77 » 09 Feb 2017, 22:46

Taken Advice from Helisup and going for the first option and putting bearings in case then crank in right case followed by left.

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Bottom endrebuild (AR)

Post by gregorious77 » 13 Feb 2017, 21:57

Been busy in the garage tonight.
Had to do the clutch arm bearings as the top one fell to bits when I took the arm out. I even purchased a blind bearing puller just for this task.
Could I get the casing out? could I heck!! it tapped inwards with no bother at all but out was having none of it. I was going to replace both but as I couldn't get the top casing out I decided not to even try the bottom one.
I managed to push the casing down enough.
Then put a new bearing in on top.

Warmed the cases up with a hear gun in the end rather than in the oven and the main bearings have been living in the freezer for days.
Both bearings dropped straight in with a gentle tap using an aluminium drift.
Gearbox dropped in easy as I left it all meshed together on the bench.
Warmed the bearing a little and crank was cold from being in the garage. Crank dropped into the bearing under its own weight.
Other side of the crank was reasonably tight in the bearing so I pulled this side in using my trusty home made puller.

All turns smoothly. Just need to torque the bolts then rebuild the rest of the engine.

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Bottom end rebuild (AR)

Post by gregorious77 » 17 Feb 2017, 12:13

Engine is now back together and buttoned up.
New mains, new rings, new little end, new crank seals, new clutch arm bearing.
While I was in there I replaced the clutch basket with a better one as my fingers were pretty grooved. I think this was due to using ATF which I will not be doing anymore.
I will be putting it back in the bike at some point next week as I have a busy Weekend ahead.

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 20 Feb 2017, 22:06

Started 2nd kick.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 24 Feb 2017, 08:15

:D

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 24 Feb 2017, 22:41

Not ridden yet though because I have lost my fookin keys!!! doing the kitchen so the whole place is a building site at the moment.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 25 Feb 2017, 07:43

They will be in the last place you look :roll: .
I used to keep a spare secreted on the bike, just in case the keys went AWOL whilst I was out riding.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 12 Mar 2017, 20:07

so she lives and I rode her on the lanes today.
Balancer shaft is whining again (reconditioned one in there) and the gears don't select properly all of the time. 1st to 2nd struggles past neutral. Its like it only just hooks in or doesnt at all sometimes. It does it going back down too where it doesnt always go back into 1st. 4th feels like it only just hooks up too.
I will check that the selector drum is rotating into position properly as a first step ( clutch cover off and clutch off). Hopefully the selector lever is not turning the drum properly. If not then split the cases again!!!
I didnt take the gears off their shafts so not sure what could have gone wrong. I did forget to put the selector arm in before I put the clutch back on so I may have misaligned something trying to get it back in past the clutch (used force).

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 18 Mar 2017, 21:03

Clutch off today to have a gander.
Spot the mistake!!

No idea where the bush went but I had a spare one kicking about so not have my gearbox back working as it should.