I need to clean the carb what is the best way to get at it.

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
I need to clean the carb what is the best way to get at it.

Post by Bultacobob » 02 Apr 2017, 19:38

I really just need to twist it to get the bottom part of the carb off and clean or replace the jets. As it is a MK 3 the oil reservoir is in the way so thoughts were remove it and hopefully get enough twist to get to work on the carb. Removing the air box is looking like a much longer job. Any suggestions much appreciated. The bike has been standing for a year and it feels like the jets need some TLC.

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: I need to clean the carb what is the best way to get at

Post by gregorious77 » 05 Apr 2017, 15:21

pretty sure you can unbolt rear subframe and swing it up/down with the airbox to get it out of the way.

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM

Post by xstian81 » 05 Apr 2017, 17:11

When I last took the carbon off my mk3, I just pulled it straight out. I didn't remove any other parts on the bike to do it. You probably can't twist it with out removing the oil tank, but it only takes 2 min to remove the whole carb , so why bother?

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 07 Apr 2017, 17:36

Rotate part way, apply some rearward pressure,then twist out. A warm day, or garage helps, it softens up the rubber.
Note the position of the jubilee clips when first undoing. Always best to remove the slide first though.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

jim157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » 07 Apr 2017, 20:21

Yep, it should come off with a bit of a wriggle and a tug. You could try warming up the rubbers with a hair dryer too.

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bultacobob » 16 Apr 2017, 18:36

Thanks for the advice, My problem has been that the rubbers are rock hard and have absolutely no give. However with spring sort of on its way, maybe a good soaking in sunshine will soften them up.

Cheers
Rob

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 17 Apr 2017, 13:32

:shock: There should be some flexibility in the manifold rubber, and especially the air boot rubber.
The manifold rubber may well be perished and past it's best before date. They then usually start to split and allow unfiltered and un-metered air into the carb.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 17 Apr 2017, 16:58

Take the seat off and undo the subframe but leave all the wiring connected. That should give you more than enough room.

nicko
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3

Post by nicko » 17 Apr 2017, 20:18

how did it go bbob? did ya try a bit of heat to soften up the rubbers? or swing sub-frame up?
CRM Mk3, billet clutch basket

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bultacobob » 19 Apr 2017, 21:11

The weather has been really cold so have not attempted the removal. I am going to try prizing it off the rubber inlet and airbox fist as the sub-frame seems a bit long winded. Referring back to Mike, the rubber on both parts is hard as hell as it stands, which is why I was struggling to to get it off and sought advice on the forum. I will let you know as to what I find the best/easiest method turns out to be. The bike sits for quite a lot of the time and so Carb cleaning and jet blockage will be an ongoing problem. This is why I want to fine the best way of getting the things off.

jim157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » 19 Apr 2017, 21:20

The subframe is pretty easy to remove, it's only three bolts. As mentioned you can leave stuff like the loom in situ, as the subframe will drop down giving you access to remove the airbox.

If you're not going to use the bike for a while drain the carb of fuel.

Bultacobob
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Bultacobob » 24 Apr 2017, 20:16

Ok Carb off cleaned, new jets and back on the bike ( still a bit hesitant at very low speeds but pulls like a train when opened up). Honestly the best way was to loosen the top sub-frame bolt, and remove the 2 lower bolts. So seat off and both side panels and that's it, the Carb clips are loosened and so a small upward lift off the frame allows the Carb to slide back and out. So why this method, well replacement is made 10 times easier, those pesky rubbers will fold in and make life difficult, this method allows you to easily re-install the Carb. The swing arm only needs to lift about 6 cm, useful to have some one hold it for you or do as I did and rest the lower section on the frame.

It might just be me but I have striped and replaced 2T engine rings quicker than getting the Carb back into some stiff air box rubbers ( DR350 took its sweet time as well).

Hope this may help some other people.

briangoo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 j reg 91
Re: I need to clean the carb what is the best way to get at it.

Post by briangoo » 25 Feb 2019, 19:35

I have been having issues lately with the carbon mk1 & find if you just want to get to the bottom of the carburettor (yes my air filter rubber is tough as old boots). Loosen both the screw clamps either side of the carburettor then twist it towards you (working from the petrol tap side) top first to remove the slide from the carb, then twist the other way to get to the 4 screws that hold the bowl

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk