Hedgehog33
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2 1992
Shifting issues

Post by Hedgehog33 » 02 Jun 2017, 09:53

Hi all,
On the last ride my MK2 developed a strange problem in the gearbox - it seems to have become an automatic. It randomly shifts between gears on its own accord (both up and down), or else jumps out of gear. Second, third and fourth seem to be worst affected. My first thought was that the indented selector had moved, so I took the side off and everything looked to be as it should. I had somehow missed the bush that goes between the shift fork from the gear lever and the ratchet, so I machined one and the gearbox seemed to shift smoothly, but having put it back together it's probably worse now than it was before.

My only other thought are that a shift fork might have bent, which I think is unlikely as the problem occurs over a few of the gear pairs (from memory 3rd and 4th are paired, for example) or else the indented barrel that holds the selector barrel in position has turned. When I first build the engine, I noticed that the pin which aligns it is small and rounded, so I might check that in the morning.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated.
Will

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Shifting issues

Post by gregorious77 » 02 Jun 2017, 15:49

the spring loaded flappy bits in the drum? I lost the bush in mine and it only just hooked up the gears. Then I replaced it but put the spring loaded bits in the wrong way which meant it didn't shift at all. Now its all good except coming down the box sometimes skips past 2nd and into neutral which is annoying.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 04 Jun 2017, 22:34

What look like tiny bits of wear to the naked eye can cause shifting issues. So unless you have the specs and a means of measuring the thickness and straightness of the various parts than it is like looking for the proverbial needle.

Replace at least the dogs and the drums with parts from a working box. I will have a look through my remaining parts and get back to you ..........

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 09 Jun 2017, 11:20

:cry: Sorry no good