Fork questions

ChrisMckay
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Fork questions

Post by ChrisMckay » 14 Feb 2003, 05:40

Hi All,

As some of you may know, I'm redoing my 93 CRM, and right now I'm looking at the forks.

I'm wondering if anyone could point me in a good direction for assistance getting these rebuilt.

The condition on them are somewhat neglected and I'm afraid I may need new lower tubes as they have quite a bit of micro spots of rust (they are inverted style) and a couple places where it looks as if the chrome is chipped.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should look into on getting these rebuilt? I'm guessing they might need rechromed.

ChrisHi All,

As some of you may know, I'm redoing my 93 CRM, and right now I'm looking at the forks.

I'm wondering if anyone could point me in a good direction for assistance getting these rebuilt.

The condition on them are somewhat neglected and I'm afraid I may need new lower tubes as they have quite a bit of micro spots of rust (they are inverted style) and a couple places where it looks as if the chrome is chipped.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should look into on getting these rebuilt? I'm guessing they might need rechromed.

My other option would be a good set of used.... but I'm guessing that might be spendy.

Chris

duck
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by duck » 23 Feb 2003, 00:09

i tried getting the lower fork legs rechromed, had a mechanic strip them down, send the lower legs away, and have them returned a week later still the same. they chromer couldn't get the lower caps off to chrome them. i had to pay the guy to rebuild them the way they were. the next set of seals i did myself - easy job really. once the legs were out, i gave them a really light sand to remove the high spots from the pitted marks, put in new seals, and they have lasted a lot longer. at least a year now. i think the best thing you could do for usd forks is fit seal savers. a wetsuit like material that pre wipes the fork tube before dirt gets to the seal. i have a pair and i swear that's the reason these seals have lasted so long.
i say have a go at doing them yourself - if you have any trouble, there are experts here to giude you in the right direction.
have fun...
go hard or go home

SteveCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by SteveCRM » 23 Feb 2003, 21:26

Just remember that the sleeves on the anodized parts move so if you have problems getting the circlip thing back in the sleeve will have moved down, tap it back up with a bit of wood.