Oil leak from Balance shaft

dannycrm
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Oil leak from Balance shaft

Post by dannycrm » 29 May 2018, 11:46

Hi I'm new to CRM's and have just bought my first one, The bike is really tidy and motor has been rebuilt.

Once warm though I'm getting oil leaking from the flywheel cover ( not massively but definitely leaking ) The previous owner ( a freind ) replaced all the bearing etc and fitted a new balance shaft oil seal and is going to take a look. Is it possible it's just a seal that hasn't seated right or is it likely a balance shaft problem ?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Oil leak from Balance shaft

Post by gregorious77 » 29 May 2018, 22:24

could have been damaged on install

dannycrm
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by dannycrm » 29 May 2018, 22:37

gregorious77 wrote:could have been damaged on install
That's what I'm hoping , my mate built the motor so he's gonna take a look later in the week

JahCoop
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by JahCoop » 04 Jun 2018, 18:22

If it’s only while warm it could be worth checking the gearbox breather pipe for blockage. Long shot but the expansion inside under heat could be forcing oil out the seal instead of air out the breather pipe if you know what I mean?

If that’s okay then likely hood is that it’s the seal that’s just not seated properly and the thinner warm oil is able to seep through a hair line gap.

dannycrm
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by dannycrm » 04 Jun 2018, 18:25

JahCoop wrote:If it’s only while warm it could be worth checking the gearbox breather pipe for blockage. Long shot but the expansion inside under heat could be forcing oil out the seal instead of air out the breather pipe if you know what I mean?

If that’s okay then likely hood is that it’s the seal that’s just not seated properly and the thinner warm oil is able to seep through a hair line gap.
Cheers,

Replaced it with a new seal and so far so good Image