Side stand switch

Gammakeith
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Side stand switch

Post by Gammakeith » 17 Nov 2018, 13:03

I know that many of you have bypassed the side stand switches but I have had no trouble with mine. However, when checking it out I noticed the housing had cracked so I wondered about repairing to stop any water getting in. The switches are actually very good quality with two seals to keep them working dry. With care they can be opened up by pressing the rotor and large seal out and they can then be cleaned and inspected (see pic). Careful not to loose the 3 small wiper springs though! Alas, the cracked housing on mine broke apart but the contacts were actually in near perfect condition. I had a look on ebay and Honda use a very similar looking side stand switch on many of their bikes. Thus, I took a punt (£5) on the cheapest I could see on ebay which was off a CBR600F3. I was delighted to find that the switch body is identical to that of the CRM (left hand unit below) though the wiring colours do not match. The cable bit can be unclipped from the switch with care and a quick bit of testing revealed that swapping in my old cable to the new switch resulted in a perfectly working switch. I appreciate I may just have been lucky but I suspect that the switch body is a common part. That beats paying nearly £50 for a new one :P

Hope that helps someone!

Keith