Sudden loss of spark

Marvreay
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Sudden loss of spark

Post by Marvreay » 04 Oct 2020, 21:39

Hi guys, I own a 1996 mk3 crm250. Iv done around 20 hours on the bike since I bought it a few month ago. Went out last Saturday and all was well, went out on the Monday and the bike just refused to start. Removed the plug and found I wasn't getting a spark at all. Iv managed to test the ignition coil and regulator rectifier using the help of YouTube lol and all tested fine. Removed my stator cover and the inside was really dirty and rusty. And the inside of my flywheel has some damage, also found a slight bit damage to the white wire leading to one of the pick ups at the stator. Would the damage to the flywheel be the cause of the no spark? I'm not great with electrics if I'm honest.

Cheers
Martin

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM
Re: Sudden loss of spark

Post by xstian81 » 05 Oct 2020, 16:37

Start at the basics.

Have you checked the kill switch is on, test it and rule is out. Same with the ignition switch and side stand switch.

Most of the info for testing the ignition and electrics will be on the forum, just need to search. I find searching with google and using the forum name as part of the search easier to use than the search function on the forum.

I might be worth posting up a photo of the damage to flywheel and damaged wire.

Marvreay
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: Sudden loss of spark

Post by Marvreay » 05 Oct 2020, 20:39

How do you post pictures now? Lol been years since iv used a forum and back then I used photobucket.
Side stand switch has been bypassed.

Cheers