The curse of the spinning damper

Srowlings
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
The curse of the spinning damper

Post by Srowlings » 03 Sep 2021, 08:50

Hi, Im just in the process of rebuilding my forks on a mk2, all is looking good and quite an easy job until I put it back together... Went to tighten the damper bolt and it won't tighten at all as the damper just spins with it, are there any tips or tricks to get it tight? What makes matters worse is i can't even get the bolt out now as well. Tried to take the cap off from the damper so I could take the spacer and spring out to hold the damper in some way but that is not budging at all either. If anyone can help that would be great!

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM
Re: The curse of the spinning damper

Post by xstian81 » 07 Sep 2021, 09:43

I think you can make a tool out of i bit of tube to lock these, have a google, I'm sure you will find the answer. I normal loosen this bolt while the fork is still on the bike. You can then apply a downward force to the shock and get it loose. I've never had a problem tightening them, but the same might apply.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 07 Sep 2021, 10:35

An impact ratchet is very useful with this but be careful!!!

Srowlings
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Srowlings » 09 Nov 2021, 16:39

Sorry for such a late reply!
I got it sorted in the end, Impact ratchet did the job.
Typical my rear shock just went a few weeks after I sorted the forks...
Has anyone been able to source a shock seal online? I have looked everywhere..
I am based in Vietnam right now so this rare bike is even more rare! Finding parts is always a nightmare.
This is the first time I've opened up the shock and saw it hasn't been looked after at all! Cant really fork out for a Hagon shock and finding a second hand one isn't easy, Have found a dude here that will rechrome the shock shaft so hoping that will sort it out.