Seized Engine!!!??

AndyG
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Seized Engine!!!??

Post by AndyG » 24 Dec 2002, 11:57

OK guys, not too sure what sort of advice you can give me on this but I have a bit of a dilemma. :cry:

I've recently paid around the £700 mark to get my top end completely re-bulit as I blew up the piston etc. I understand about running engines in and everything, but after only 200 miles, I think something has blown again in the top end. The bike seized for a second and the back wheel locked up. I can get the bike to tick over but the frame vibrates really badly and it feels terrible. Any ideas?

Failing that, has anyone stripped their top end before? I have done on a few previous 2-stroke bikes but was told by my mechanic that it took ages to get the CRM engine out the frame - hence the high bill! This is putting me off doing it myself.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be extremely grateful as at the minute I feel like just ditching the bike. I don't want to really but after 2 seizures within a few months, I'm starting to wonder!

Cheers for any help u can give.

SteveCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by SteveCRM » 24 Dec 2002, 13:17

Dont ditch the bike whatever you do, its a CRM.

Maybe your just going through a bad patch. I thrash the nads off of mine all the time even two's up and have never had a prob (touch wood). when yours seized did the engine completely die. have you checked your chain is tight and in line I knew someone who forgot an engine bolt once and f**cked his new engine by running it out of allignment.

Good luck, I am afraid like you I have done some rebuilds but not on my CRM.

SteveCRM
Worksop

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 24 Dec 2002, 18:53

Christ - don't ditch it. worst case scenario will be another topend rebuild which is not a problem. pistons are £100 and DONT BUY PATTERN PARTS. a rebore if needed will be less than that so should be no more than £300 tops. If the bottom end is damaged a crank can be done for £250 and with that you should see another 20k before anything else needs looking at. Engine removal is not a problem so long as you take your time and should take 2 hours max. If you need any more help then mail me off list - bont don't be hasty and enjoy the xmas break before even thinking about touching it. BUT DONT RUN IT AGAIN until you know where the problem lies.
if the vibes are bad then i would sugest mains - perhaps a circlip has shot out.
Let us know what you find please

Paul

MrAngry
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by MrAngry » 26 Dec 2002, 21:40

If you do ditch it let me know first i dont mind buying a bike that requires some work..
:D
Out Of All The Things Ive Lost I Miss My Mind The Most!!

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 28 Dec 2002, 22:22

Andy, i bought my 1st CRM in nov, it had just had a strip down and rebuild, after three weeks one of the new main bearings siezed, having never done this b4 it took me a while but getting the engine out and the top end off wasnt a problem. if you have worked on other bikes succesfully you shouldn`t have a problem.
If i had just handed £700 to someone and this had happened i think I would be knocking on his door first though! if you have paid good money for the work there must be some sort of garentee of there workmanship.
anyway good luck whatever you do, Phil.

AndyG
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by AndyG » 30 Dec 2002, 11:12

Cheers for the replies guys.
I think I'm gonna get in touch with the workshop that rebuilt it a few months ago and have a word with them. I can't remember getting a guarantee for the work they done as I just presumed this would be daft. How do they know that I've run the engine in sufficiently not to warrant it seizing again? Fact of the matter is that I did give it a bit of a handful at the time it seized the 2nd time, didn't redline though.
I'll let you know how I get on, if no joy with the guarantee, might attempt to get the engine out the frame myself. Would another mechanic be able to rebulid it without having the bike as a whole? I guess it would just mean me having to fit the engine back in the bike?
Anyways, hope you've all had a nice Xmas and enjoy the New Year!

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
re:Seized Engine!!!??

Post by Bargos » 02 Jan 2003, 11:35

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your bike.

Were the garage that fixed it before able to tell you why it seized initially?

BTW, giving it a handfull occasionally when running in is actually better for the engine than allowing it plod along as this can cause the bore to glaze.

Its my opinion that you speak to the garage first and ask them to strip it down to tell you exactly why it seized as the problem could be down to their workmanship.

Above all, keep your head, take your time and ask questions on the forum - its better that you keep the bike and know it inside and out rather than getting another one that could be even worse than the one you currently have.

Good luck.

Bargos

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 03 Jan 2003, 20:55

Andy, totally agree with comments from bargos, I`ve now been riding mine for about three weeks since getting it back together, and other than one small problem I am well chuffed. I know the mechanics of the bike a lot better now so if it does break down i will feel happier taking it apart, and if you look at stonehenge on rideouts that was the real tester.
I did inlist the help of a local engineering workshop on a couple of occassions when i couldn`t remove items like the knackered bearing.
if your going for it, e-mail me and i`ll let you know the bits I struggled on and ways I got round them. also i`m sure there are some people on here with a lot more experience who would help.

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 03 Jan 2003, 20:59

p.s I spoke to leasure trail when i first started doing mine and they will tackle engines out of bikes and offer a 3 month garentee on the work. regards phil