Fuel Leak

Chris Lorimer
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Fuel Leak

Post by Chris Lorimer » 25 Feb 2003, 07:25

Alreet!!

I have an inherant problem with fuel leaking from my mk2! When it is stood running sometimes fuel will pour out of the overflow. If I ride off for a few metres and stop it sometimes stop. Its been going on for a while now. Any ideas? Is it my chrome plunger needle that could be worn or is it to do with the level of my float?

TA

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 25 Feb 2003, 09:33

Hi Chris,

Im assuming that your bike has always done this and not just acquired this habit recently? If so, I reckon that the first place to take a look would be the float height and while you are at it check that the floats themselves arent punctured and do their job, ie float.

This will mean that you need to remove the carb to check - how do you feel about bike d.i.y?

Any questions, please feel free to ask.
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

Chris Lorimer
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Chris Lorimer » 26 Feb 2003, 07:20

Hi Bargos!!

How do I check the float height?

It has been leaking intermittantly for about 4 months now but I haven't really been using it, it has been standing for a while.

It stops leaking when on the move??

DIY is not a problem.

Any advice would be a great help.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 26 Feb 2003, 08:44

Hi Chris,

>How do I check the float height?

First youve got to pull the carb, its quite straightforward as long as you remember on removal/replacement to pull it back into the airbox rubber inlet to free up some space to get the thing in and out. Remove the float bowl by undoing the four securing crosshead screws.

Now, with the bowl removed put the carb upside down and rest it on the aperture that the slide assembly screws into. You need to measure from the top of the float to the body of the carb, ie the flat surface that the float bowl mates to (theres a gasket in between). Its a little hard to explain, if you have the leisuretrail manual I believe it is explained in there but if you email me on nickk@txrecords.net I can send you a picture.

>It has been leaking intermittantly for about 4 months now but I haven't >really been using it, it has been standing for a while.

It sounds like you need to check all the obvious stuff, float height, check that any gaskets and rubber seals in the carb havent perished or cracked.

>It stops leaking when on the move??

>DIY is not a problem.

>Any advice would be a great help.

Let me know if that is of any use.
Bargos

Chris Lorimer
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Float Height?

Post by Chris Lorimer » 27 Feb 2003, 08:02

Hi Bargos,

I have put a new carb seal kit on from LT.
What should the float height measure? Is this measurement when the float is in its 'down' position or in the up position ie when the bowl is full of fuel?

Ta.

Chris

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 27 Feb 2003, 08:55

Chris,

I cant remember off the top of my head what the float height should be, LT will be able to tell you.

The float height is measured when the carb is upside down with the float bowl removed.
Bargos

Karl Nicholson
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Karl Nicholson » 27 Feb 2003, 17:28

chris

when you find out the float hight can you let me know as i was trying to find out the same thing,

cheers
Karl#13

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 27 Feb 2003, 17:50

Goes to show who never looks at the site then...
try going to the homepage and goto specifications. the float height is under - float height
also while you are there, take a good look round, i bet there loads of stuff up there that you have never seen. OK its hardly complete but must be 80% of the way there

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 28 Feb 2003, 16:37

Guys,

I have sent the Admin a small diagram on how to measure the float height, might be of use to someone.
Bargos

Chris Lorimer
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Chris Lorimer » 03 Mar 2003, 12:17

Nice one guys!!

Some good news at the weekend for me.....CRM passed its MOT first time!!

Got myself a couple of decent looking brake and clutch levers for £12 (forged and shortened). They look miles better than them there Rally tyre lever lookin ones. Poo they are!!

Also got a kill switch for £12 too!!

Who knows where I can get a clutch lever bracket with the threaded lug on for the mirrors?

Demon Tweaks of Wrexham sell xr250 versions for about £8. They should fit shouldn't they?

I also need larger footpegs and frame guards but £50 seems a lot of Doh for pegs alone. Any one know where I should buy my footpegs from without selling my crown jewels?

Chris