Cold Starting

dibateg
Reactions:
Cold Starting

Post by dibateg » 27 Dec 2002, 11:22

Has anyone else experienced reluctant starting with MkII/2 CRM's?
Seems to be a too weak mixture. If you tip the bike on it's side long enough - it might start! The choke passages in the carb seems to have a drilling that allows to much air into the mix, so we've temporarily blocked that to see if it richens the mixture enough to start it on choke.
Be interested to see if anyone's had the same difficulties... :?:

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 27 Dec 2002, 15:46

every model i have had inc the AR i have now is a cow to start when not been run for a few days. i find as soon as i park the bike turn the fuel off and like you say when i come to start it, turn the fuel on and lean the bike over, often goes after 5 kicks or so. interested to hear how you get on.
On another note - you get over to the horseshoe much ??

dibateg
Reactions:

Post by dibateg » 30 Dec 2002, 15:38

Time will tell - I've also resorted to screwing in the air control screw to start it, then winding it back out once the old girl has fired up. Hav'nt been up to the horshoe yet, we mostly run south to Havren forest and Knighton areas...

double_clutch
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by double_clutch » 30 Dec 2002, 15:44

i used to get the big bruise up the back of my leg! from trying to strart her! it would never seem to start, in the end i had to bump it! but now it seems fine, think it was where my cousin thrashed the pants off of it 1 day!
Live Fast Die Young
Dont Drink And Drive, You'll Spill It

Russell
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Russell » 30 Dec 2002, 19:55

I found changing to NGK EV type spark plug helped starting no end, this plug is well worth the extra cash envolved. So long as I remember to turn the fuel off my MK3 starts within 3 kicks no matter how long it has stood for. I never use any throttle to start and also take choke off straight away.

SteveCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by SteveCRM » 31 Dec 2002, 11:30

I never turn off my fuel and my bike always starts with 5 kicks.

When I first got my mk2/2 I used to knacker out myself by giving it loads of huge kicks (like on the CR250 I was used to) and it was a pig to start. this was really annoying when in front of friends :oops: (mr Angry) who would laugh at all the effort I was putting in :lol: .

Then I started getting used to the bike and found all I had to do was give it about 5 softish kicks without stopping and it would start like a dream and it still does. if you can get into a regular pattern of starting its easier to notice if somethings wrong.

Not so long ago I kicked mine about 10 times with no starting joy, took the plug out kicked it and there was no spark so I changed the plug, still no spark. then i removed the kill switch and cleaned the terminals then the bike started but ran badly. with all my engineering qualifications I carefully calculated nothing and wacked a scotchlock across the kill switch wires and the bike runs perfect all the time again.

SteveCRM

Russell
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Russell » 31 Dec 2002, 12:21

Strange how 2 bikes can be so different, if I forget to switch my fuel off the bike takes at least 10 kicks if not more to start, yet switch it off 3 kicks max.
I like you always used to leave the fuel on on all my other bikes, but had to start experimenting with the crm as can be very fussy starter.
I guess all crm's are slightly different and we need to try all options to discover the best method for the idividual bike.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 02 Jan 2003, 11:45

Hi,

I normally use my bike once every fortnight and turn the fuel off when its laid up. It will normally start after 4 or 5 kicks, even fewer kicks now with a new speak plug and clean carb. I always turn the choke off as soon as possible.

Bargos, West Sussex.

duck
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by duck » 22 Feb 2003, 23:49

i have a mk 2 crm, and have never had a problem starting it. i always kicks on the 3rd kick from cold with choke. i let it warm up for a minute or so, then ride on choke until i can feel the power come, then reach down flick the choke off, and ring it's neck. it is an awesome feeling to go riding with the 4stroke boys, and pull over to see what direction we're going, switch off the bike and know that it will start first kick when warm. my friends won't turn their bikes off for fear of kicking them over. ha ha ha - i guess the yz250f, and 400's aren't perfect after all.
go hard or go home

SteveCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by SteveCRM » 23 Feb 2003, 21:19

Ok so now I am in the same league of starting my bike as you guys, the bike would start as quick as usual but with my F*%\"ed knee it takes longer.

Not a pain in the a%*e but a pain in the knee to start nowdays, but still a buzz to ride.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 25 Feb 2003, 09:40

Theres nothing worse than not being confident that your bike will start easily, especially if you are in the middle of nowhere!!
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

double_clutch
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by double_clutch » 26 Feb 2003, 22:51

Steve, go to the top of a very big hill and roll down it then knock it in 2nd and let go of da clutch, that should sort the pain in the knee problem!
Live Fast Die Young
Dont Drink And Drive, You'll Spill It

Grommitt
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:

Post by Grommitt » 19 Mar 2003, 20:59

Glad it wasn't just me - my old Mk 2.2 was areal bugger to start when cold - first kick when hot though. Bit spilt with teh electric kicker of the DRZ ( until you get a flat battery !)

Grommitt

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 19 Mar 2003, 21:21

Thats one thing about the blade which i love. just put the key in and hit the button. Just never lets me down that bike

SteveCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by SteveCRM » 20 Mar 2003, 08:15

Mine wont be so easy to start after its been laid up for this length of time (about 2months so far). Plus I have nicked all the petrol out of it for my lawnmower.
Wonder if I can fit a pull start on my CRM, like on a QR50 quad. If not one of you lot can come and start it for my every now and then :)