Stalling and running hunting at low rpm >

timmyt
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Stalling and running hunting at low rpm >

Post by timmyt » 16 Mar 2003, 18:43

Can anyone help? Been out today and my MK2 and it started playing up. At low RPM it feels and sounds funny. The engine seems to hunt and splutter, once it gets opened up and the revs have built it runs normally with no apparent loss of power. Also there is a smell of premixed fuel in the air, and the damn thing will stall if you don’t blip the throttle to keep the motor alive. I have had it 18 months and it hasn’t had any new reeds or rings, any advice would be welcome.

Tim :?

carl
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
crm poor running

Post by carl » 16 Mar 2003, 18:58

are you sure you havent been out with us today? my mates mark 2 has simular problems only his doesnt like starting either. if you switch the kill switch off and kick it 3 times then put kill switch on it fires ands runs but still has a massive flat spot at low revs. carb has been off stripped and cleaned but has made no difference. any info will be warmly recieved as to a solution. my own mark 2 has broken down today also. just died on a road section, plug removed and found to be dry, float bowl drain undone plenty petrol, new plug installed still no joy, tip bike on its side tried to run but still u/s. carb removed stripped and float height adjusted refitted still no go. bumped it got it going but still not right. later in day at a t stop the bike was releasing pressure from somewhere a bit like a puncture noise. traced it to engine breather pipe from rear of carb inlet which was blocked at its outlet at rear of drive sprocket, un blocked and the bike ran fine for the rest of the day. dont know if this info will help, good luck. ta ta carl

timmyt
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by timmyt » 16 Mar 2003, 20:54

I mustn't have been too far away from you. Went over to Chesterfield via Castletown. Will check the pipes, hope it's that simple as that,

Thanks, Tim.

double_clutch
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by double_clutch » 16 Mar 2003, 22:05

talking about the kill switch, my bike wont even start at all with the kill switch wired in, so i have just cut it out and have to stall it to turn it off.

Is this just a case of a shagged kill switch? bearing in mind mine is totally stripped down for off road use, so only the essential wires are there.
Live Fast Die Young
Dont Drink And Drive, You'll Spill It

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 17 Mar 2003, 15:48

Timmyt,

Am I correct in thinking that you are running it on premix? Are you sure you got the ratio right this time? If it only just started happening after you filled your tank I would suggest that you may have added a bit too much oil to the mix - it could be worth flushing the fuel tank out and starting again from scratch.

If you arent running it on premix I would suggest whipping out the spark plug to take a look and give it a clean, it might even be worth replacing it for starters.
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

timmyt
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by timmyt » 20 Mar 2003, 11:57

Checked the pipes comming from the carb and it was full of mud. Also since fitting a bash plate they aren't as well routed. Bike runs fine really well now. It makes feel bad as I am going to trade it in for a KTM.

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 20 Mar 2003, 12:11

Bloody defector !!!!
Nah, nice bike the KTM 200, would even have one myself, but wouldnt touch the barge of a 500 (mate has one - its Ham Shank!!)

carl
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by carl » 21 Mar 2003, 02:23

sounds like you have sorted it, well done! according to the people that are 2 stroke gods its summat to do with the engine drawing fuel in under vacuum, and if engine is pressurised due to a blocked breather then it cant get in. dont know if its true or just folklore but it worked for me and you. how much are you wanting for it now its going? e mail me direct and let me know. ta ta carl.