No spark-My experiences!

dazey
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
No spark-My experiences!

Post by dazey » 10 Dec 2005, 14:59

This isnt a request for help but instead a post to explain my findings in an attempt to help others. I found this site useful in my fault finding so want to add to it.

Mine hit a bump and stopped. Thoughts were mainly sidestand but it wasnt.

To begin with I thought it was the coil. This has a low primary resistance of about 1-3 ohms and a low secondary of about 3k ohms (most bike coils have a secondary of 15k ohms). It wasnt the coil

It wasnt the sidestand switch, but I found that the switch should switch to joining the two green wires when the stand is up and joining the outer two wires when the stand is up.

In the end I pulled the main plug off the CDI and checked continuity to the coil which was fine and I tried to find the two trigger coils. I found that the neutral switch (on the same block as the triggers) is the lime green wire with the red chaser. Ignition triggers should have resistance of approx 320 ohms to ground. They are the white wire and the blue wire with yellow chaser. The fourth wire is the one shown connecting to the side of the generator and seems to be earthed. In my case I was missing one trigger. When I pulled the engine casing off (which does not have oil behind it) I found one of the spade plugs had come off. Reconnect and it suddenly works again.

Behind the cover was rusty because a previous owner had used lots of silicone sealent when reataching the cover and blocked the drain hole at the bottom. This compartment does not seem to be sealed and shouldnt be.

Hope this is of help to others.
Dazey