No Spark

Chris Lorimer
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
No Spark

Post by Chris Lorimer » 23 Mar 2003, 20:59

I wheeled the Mk2 out today, gave it a kick or 2 and nothing . Found out there were no spark. I traced the spark plug lead back to an inline rubber sheeth that was perished and looked as though it had burn't out at some stage. I took the damaged sheeth off and found what looked to be a thread of a screw screwed into the coil side wires of the lead a nd behind that was an inline spring?? What is this all about??

The second half of the spark plug lead took me to what looked like the coil (is it?). The lead where it meets the coil looks to be potted in solid like (is it?). Can I just replace the 2 halves of the spark plug lead or does the coil with potted in lead have to be replaced too? How much is a coil these days? Will a coil off another more common bike do?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Ta.

ps. Still haven't found the float height diagram but managed to set the 16mm float height which I feel is the point at which the float needle :| :| spring loaded nipple starts to compress

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 25 Mar 2003, 11:23

Chris, what makes you think that the coil is the problem? :?:
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

SteveCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by SteveCRM » 25 Mar 2003, 14:51

Call me stupid if you like, but did you check the cut off switch. I was confused for ages when mine developed an intermitent fault, every time i checked it it worked then I had probs again. Got fed up one day and whacked a scotchlock across the cutout switch wires, had no problems since.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 25 Mar 2003, 15:02

Im inclined to agree with Steve on this one, the coil is the last place that I would look.
Bargos

Chris Lorimer
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
No Spark2

Post by Chris Lorimer » 25 Mar 2003, 20:45

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't have a cut off switch fitted. It didn't have one when I bought it?? I do have one waiting to be fitted though.

What makes me think it is the coil is the really peculiar joint in the middle of the HT lead involving a screw thread screwed into the coil side of the lead with a spring butted up to the screw on the plug side of the lead all encapsulated in a rubber sheath.

I looked at the sheath closely and it was broken, upon further investigation of what was inside the sheath I found this peculiar arrangement. The screw tapped into the lead basically just fell out so god knows how it managed to conduct a current to the plug in this state??

Does anyone else have an inline HT lead arrangement such as this?

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 26 Mar 2003, 08:42

Chris,
That sounds like the problem mate. As far as I know mine goes straight from the plug cap to the coil. What you can try is this: Take the part of the HT lead that is still connected to the coil and strip back some of the insulation so that the wire is visible. Get a mate to kick the bike over and, with a pair of INSULATED pliers or similair hold the bare wire 1-2mm off the cylinder head as the bike is being kicked over - you should see a big blue spark jump from the end of the lead to the cylinder head. If you see the spark, this tells you that the coil is fine and that the problem lies with the join that you just dismantled. Let me know how you get on.
Bargos

Chris Lorimer
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Chris Lorimer » 27 Mar 2003, 12:16

Bargos,

good advice that fella!

Ive managed to source a coil for a tenner , so I am gonna go with that. I'll let you know how my spark is with this.

Cheers.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 27 Mar 2003, 17:04

No problems mate, Ill be interested to see what the outcome is.
Bargos