Loss of top end power + temp warning light

colins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Loss of top end power + temp warning light

Post by colins » 31 Dec 2006, 14:18

Hi,
Wonder if any one can help me. My 1997 AR has recently lost it's power at higher revs (It almost feels choked up) and the temp. warning light comes on when I rev it. It is not losing any water - head gasket? and it does not appear to be getting to hot. It runs fine at low revs. I have changed the plug and wondered if anyone has had similar problems before any expensive engine work is started.
Thanks Colins

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 31 Dec 2006, 16:14

Colins,

A few questions...

What sort of state was the plug in when you replaced it?

Have you changed the engine oil lately? What kind of state was it in?

Take out the engine oil filler and look at the underside - is there any residue?

B.
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

colins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by colins » 31 Dec 2006, 16:39

Thanks for that.
The plug was quite oiled up & to be honest it's quite a while since I Have changed the oil
Colins

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 31 Dec 2006, 18:59

Colins,

Well, take a look and see what you can find. Theres a reason that your bike isnt running properly and it will leave clues to help you find out.

B.
Bargos

colins
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by colins » 01 Jan 2007, 14:39

Hi
I took the engine oil filler out and there was a very slight milky residue on the bottom of it.

Colins

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 01 Jan 2007, 17:05

Hi,

This suggests that water has mixed with your engine oil, possible from the cylinder head gasket which could tie in with your problem.

Having just re-read your original post you say that the engine 'doesnt appear to be getting too hot'. Am I missing something here or does the fact that your warning light comes on suggest that it IS getting too hot?

CRMs are well known for baking their head gasket, I personally feel this is where your problem lies although it would be worth speaking to Leisure Trail before you order a new gasket. Replacing it would take you about a morning, I would think.

B.
Bargos

CRMR
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by CRMR » 01 Jan 2007, 18:38

The milky oil is defenatly water mixed with it ,,bet its the head casket,Also could be a slight leak in the head gasket along with a faulty powervalve meaning one fault has led you to another in the making ,?

kinney
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: Loss of top end power + temp warning light

Post by kinney » 02 Jan 2007, 03:48

colins wrote:My 1997 AR has recently lost it's power at higher revs (It almost feels choked up) and the temp. warning light comes on when I rev it. It is not losing any water
C'mon guys.....the info you need is all there.

How would water get in the gearbox oil even if the head gasket had failed? :roll:

A little condensation is sometimes present on the underside of the gearbox oil filler cap and this can cause a small amount of miky deposit.

I suspect the head gasket is fine and the problem lies with the autolube or the fuel mixture.

If the overheat light is coming on at high revs, this is a classic case of not enough 2 stroke oil. Check the autolube is working.

Andy.

Oh and p.s. Watch those spellings.

i.e. definately

CRM'er
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by CRM'er » 02 Jan 2007, 08:25

Is it running bad after or before the temp light comes on? Not too sure about the computers in the crm's but if it gets too hot (or thinks its too hot) the power of the engine may be restricted to stop engine damage... Maybe there is a fault in the system causing the temp light to come on even though bike is not over heating??? Just a thought!

d5aul
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by d5aul » 02 Jan 2007, 08:58

My MK1 had similar simptoms when the Regulator/Rectifier failed, The voltage measured at the headlight connector was completely wrong (should be about 14V).
Due to the incorrect voltage, the powervalve was not operating correctly causing the lack of power & the temp light came on at high revs, the temp light is an LED fed by a relay & the incorrect voltage caused the relay to function incorectly.
The Gearbox vent pipe is at the top of the gearbox, if the bike has been ridden through very deep water, it is quite common for water to enter the gearbox.

CRMR
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by CRMR » 02 Jan 2007, 19:43

CRMR wrote:The milky oil is definately water mixed with it ,,Prob head caske if it was a 4 stroke,Also could be a faulty powervalve meaning one fault has led you to another in the making ,?

CRMR
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by CRMR » 02 Jan 2007, 19:44

Cheers kinny, I new this site had a spellchecker somewhere..

wadawad
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by wadawad » 02 Jan 2007, 23:30

i had a problem with my 98 ar when i opened the throttle it cut out but as it was shut off it started again (whilst being ridden) took this to be the jets so stripped and cleaned my carb, now goes like a rocket smoothe as owt, only thing the temp light keeps comming on now. not sure if theres an air lock in the radiator or somet after disconecting the pipes from carb, any ideas as to the best way to rectify this cheers....

madmanreevo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm 2.2

Post by madmanreevo » 03 Jan 2007, 10:23

how kares bout spellin so long as poeple nows wot you mean!
its not a speling site. :evil:

to eliminate the oil pump you could disconnect it and run a little premix in the tank :?:
If youve not changed the oil for a while you will get some condensation in the oil. try changing oil then keep an eye on it. if you have to change the head gasket you wont need to drop the oil.....as it is due for a change you may as well do it now :?:
3rd CRM250 MK2, rebuilt incl Braided hoses,powdercoated,one off bronze swingarm bushes,taper head bearings,hard chromed fork, poweredcoated rear spring and rebuilt. custom graphics, also own TL1000s, Aprillia RS250 (300 kit stage 3 tuned), Yamaha RD400c

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 03 Jan 2007, 17:02

Kinney,

>How would water get in the gearbox oil even if the head gasket had >failed?

Say there is a crack in the head gasket between the cooling channel in the barrel and the combustion chamber. Under pressure, the water makes it way into the combustion chamber, past the piston and into the gearbox itself.

Thats how.

B.
Bargos