When to change piston & rings

oxbow38
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
When to change piston & rings

Post by oxbow38 » 06 May 2003, 14:32

I'm running a compression test this evening as after a manic days riding in the Cotswolds at the weekend I noticed a definate loss in power and increased noise coming from the engine. What sort of drop off rate is acceptable, I see from this site it should be 6.4 (it's a Mk 2 by the way).

Secondly what sort of miles are you lot out there accruing before considering either a new piston kit or simple ring change.

Finally has anyone got oil leaking from the kick start, is that a simple seal change?
:?

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 06 May 2003, 15:25

Oxbow,

>I'm running a compression test this evening as after a manic days riding >in the Cotswolds at the weekend I noticed a definate loss in power and >increased noise coming from the engine. What sort of drop off rate is >acceptable, I see from this site it should be 6.4 (it's a Mk 2 by the way).

Im not sure what the reading should be for the CRM so cannot help here.

>Secondly what sort of miles are you lot out there accruing before >considering either a new piston kit or simple ring change.

The word is that these bikes will do 40,000 KM before needing a piston/ring change.

>Finally has anyone got oil leaking from the kick start, is that a simple >seal change?

Its simply a case of changing the seal. Get a nice little screwdriver with a narrow tip and knock it in, should pull out nice and easy.
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

oxbow38
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Compression Update

Post by oxbow38 » 07 May 2003, 14:17

I'm pleased to inform all that were worried out there, that there is chuff all wrong with the compression. It's supposed to be 6.4 and at times I was getting readings of 6.7.

Thanks for the easy to fit tip on the kick start oil seal. :lol:
If its dirty, ride it!