Braking Performance?

Phil Neal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Braking Performance?

Post by Phil Neal » 09 May 2003, 09:57

Right.

I've just replaced my front pads with some sintered ones, replaced brake fluid and bled the system, However....

It still takes a mighty tug on the brakes to stop with any conviction (prob just need bedding in, but I do weigh a well disguised 19.5 st!) am i expectin too much from the brakes (coming from a Sports Tourer with twin 4 pot calipers)?

is it worth putting a braided hose on?

is it worth putting a supermoto disc on? or would this be too much for trail riding?

Answers on a post card......

Russell
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Russell » 09 May 2003, 11:55

Well worth putting the braided hose on, my MK3 has this and I can lift the rear wheel easy at any speed (I weigh 110 KG). however compered to a road bikes brakes I find they lack any feel or feedback and are still a bit spongey
Mine also inproved by using dot 4 fluid.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 09 May 2003, 15:27

Phil Neal the ex-Liverpool footballer?!

Sounds like they just need bedding in but that wont take too long. Braided hoses also make a big difference, if they still feel a bit spongey it would be worth bleeding the brake again to remove any unwanted air.

Is your next question going to be, how do I replace the rear shock?! :wink:
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

Phil Neal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Phil Neal » 09 May 2003, 16:11

:lol:

I'll let you know when it's been off road properly.

The preload seems to be set at max with hard shock settings which seems ok for road and the odd unpaved road.

The front forks seem very squidgy need to fiddle with screwdriver (may try some heavier fork oil, can you get aftermarket springs?)

I am fitting some tr8(?) tyres (same as standard XR400 apparently) from leisure trail at some point then I'll see if i can start using my TRF memebrship (Any shropshire people group members reading?).

the rear brake seems ok (will lock up with the clutch pulled in).

The seat needs 'A Bit' more padding (grippa seat cover on back order, will try and squeeze some more foam in it.)

think the headlamp needs a new candle or the wick turning up.....

At least it is keeping me busy until I can spend some more time on getting my other project from the mother in laws garage (a vw Beach buggy!)

TTfn

Phil Neal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
mmm shock settings.

Post by Phil Neal » 11 May 2003, 17:50

ok so all the shocks were set at maximum hard (explains why my elbow joints felt like the were about to break when I hit a speed bump at 35mph!)

turned everything 1 turn back now.