Road Legals!

SteveOldGit
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Road Legals!

Post by SteveOldGit » 15 May 2003, 22:17

Hello to all,
Has anyone got any recommendations/advice on good, mid price range tyres?.
I'm currently running on dodgy,'not for highway use'! ('oh! i did'nt realise officer'!) very soft compound moto X tyres which are wearing at an alarming rate, due to some tarmac work that i have to do.
Alot of my off roading is on(slippery as f#*#! when wet!!)chalk, or fairly deep mud. Would like to fit 'road legals' that are good on these terrains.

Thanks for any help & advice :D

Steve.

Russell
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Russell » 15 May 2003, 23:18

99% of my useage is a chalk pit, slippery as f**k when wet also very dusty therefore slippy when dry, I use Bridgestone ED660 Grittys, nearly as good as Moto X but road legal, they do still wear fairly quick on road but I find these great tyres when run at 12 PSI prob one of the best road legal off road tyres.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 16 May 2003, 08:53

Steve,

Stonekings are the hardest wearing tyres that I know of, I think they are made by Bridgestone. My mate rides his bike to work, out with us every second sunday and his tyres have loads of wear left, and they were already on the bike when he bought it! Be warned that they are a bugger to fit though.. Try Kev at KRTrail for some cheap tyres, hes a nice bloke as well 01949850530.
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

WHEELIECRAZY
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by WHEELIECRAZY » 16 May 2003, 15:21

Try the michelin enduro stars or the bridgestome gritty's, I think the michelins are harder wearing though, and for the same money. Other than what is already mentioned, you are looking at MT21's which are very road legal (i.e. not an FIM enduro tyre as the other 2 I mention).

I would get off your not for highway use ones though, as I have heard that due to the fact that the police are finding it difficult to convict people for riding 'seemingly legal' lanes, they have changed tactics, and now try and catch you on the road (between lanes) and do you for everything. (e.g. tyres, indicators, no chain / sprocket gaurds, small no plates, no speedo's, etc etc) Remember an illegal tyre is 3 points each and upto a £1000 fine. Is the difference between a mx tyre at £30 to £35 in comparrison to a legal FIM tyre for £45 to £50 worth it? To me it isn't!

SteveOldGit
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by SteveOldGit » 17 May 2003, 22:22

Many thanks guys for your advice, :D
I've definitely got some food for thought!. Looks like Bridgestones may be the tyres to go for??.
I agree with your comments Wheelie! it seems that the local constabulary in my area are taking an 'unhealthy interest' in trail bikes at the moment! i know of a couple of riders that had the finger wagged at them recently by the 'rozzers'! luckily there tyres were OK but were told to get there No plates sorted or else get points on the license + a fine!. It's strange they never seem to catch the 'yobbos' who steal cars and burn them out on green lanes and are then left there for months and months!!!! and nothing is ever done about the 'ramblers' who feel it is there duty to cut down tree branches and leave them strategically placed across 'lanes'.And as for some of the 4x4 drivers....!!! dont get me started on them! was out laning a couple of weeks ago and saw a 4x4 with KIDS! sitting on the roof-rack!!!! surely all these actions are more dangerous than having a number plate that is slightly under-sized!!!!! :?
In the short time i've been 'laning' most (not all) of the riders i've met are courteous, will slow down,give way for most people,and turn off engines if they should come across a nervous horse.
It just seems the trail bike rider has no friends? :( we get grief from all angles!!!. :(

Must get off the old 'soap box'!, probably should have done a new posting in the Gen Discussion area?.

Thanks again
Steve.

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 17 May 2003, 22:47

I agree with all the above, but our case is not helped by the likes of the three guys i saw out last sun, on three bike with NO number plates, not road legal riding up and down the same lane.
no wonder some people get racked off, when they live near a byway, one of the bikes was a cr250,a M/X bike if I`m not mistaken.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 19 May 2003, 10:58

In my experience there arent that many clued-up coppers who know the law on tyres well enough to nick you and usually will let you off with a 'get it sorted' so they can avoid the hassle of paperwork.

Agree with the comments about 4x4 brigade - those things do so much more damage than a motorcycle possibly can. Also half a ton of galloping horse churns things up a bit but the biggest threat to the surface of our lanes is Mother Nature....rainfall.

Here in West Sussex I am inclined to think that the council are simply downgrading the classification of some of our lanes so as to avoid incurring any costs in repairing them. Its quite obvious that some of the lanes have seen no maintenance for decades and are unlikely to.

Slightly off topic but contentious issues promote discussion.
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

daven
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by daven » 22 May 2003, 13:51

OK - so I'm a bit late on this one but my thoughts - based on limited experience....

The Grittys come in 2 compounds - I've only used the hard ones. Great off road, OK on the road, but have seem to have the wear characteristics of Edam. I'd reckon on about 2000Km with 50/50 on/off road use.

I've now switched to Michelin - Endurostar rear - designed for stoney ground, and Comp 4 front - designed for soft & mud. Strangely the combibation seems to work well since the CRM is stable enough to make sure that the back always goes roughly where the front has gone, so a grippy front and a slippier rear seems to work.

A Comp 3 is probably a better front choice in hindsight - at least in terms of wear rate.

Phil Neal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Phil Neal » 22 May 2003, 21:16

I've just swapped my trailmax's for some IRC TR8's from leisure trail (£80 the pair) the ink is still on the tread so am taking it easy at the moment, will let you all know how a newbie gets on on some green lanes sometime next week.

Feel very different (not squared off and feelin like i'm riding on cobbles!!!!)

ttfn