Chain Cleaning

Phil Neal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Chain Cleaning

Post by Phil Neal » 29 May 2003, 13:59

What does everyone use for chain cleaning? is 'GUNK' ok?

Do you clean your chain in situ or do you remove it from the bike and soak it in a bucket?

Ta.

Phil

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 29 May 2003, 16:35

Phil,

I never use degreasant or WD40 as it removes the grease from inside the rollers otherwise you will need to boil it in that chainlube stuff (which incidentally IS messy but is also very, very good). A toothbrush and white spirits are fine to clean the chain up, I used a wire brush to remove the chain wax from mine, it was time-consuming but well worth the effort.
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

Phil Neal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Phil Neal » 29 May 2003, 16:57

urgh.

Like the sound of boiling me chain, it's got some stiff links so think I need to go the whole way with it........

Where do I get the boiling oil to pour from my tower.... er sorry re lube my chain. I've not seen it anywhere?

Ta

Phil

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 29 May 2003, 21:30

Whats this cleaning chain lark? i havent cleaned my bike since feb, the chains got no hope :lol:

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 29 May 2003, 22:02

Parrafin is ok to clean the chain with, then a good coat of gear oil after before a good fast spin and wipe off the excess.
Or just bin it and invest in a new chain

Phil Neal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Phil Neal » 29 May 2003, 23:16

new chain and 45/6 tooth sprocket is on the list of things to get soonish (ordering through mr quinn if possible, waiting for reply) just wandering about the best thing to do in the meantime.

I always had a scott oiler on my road bike so didn't touch the chain at all, I can remeber my DT used to need adjusting very frequently.

I am dousing the chain in chain wax once or twice a week at the moment.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 30 May 2003, 09:26

Phil,

You used to be able to get the oil from Halfords but any bike shop should be able to get it for you.

I have had Scottoilers on my roadbikes and have to say that they are a must have. I have also thought about getting one for the CRM but decided that it would be too much aggro to keep adjusting the delivery, especially when removing wheels and fixing punctures out in the middle of nowhere.
Bargos

Phil Neal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Phil Neal » 30 May 2003, 19:54

I was toying with having a scottoiler, how about putting it at the front sprocket end, tucked out of the way? is there a handy vacuum tube to tap into?

if your going off road wack it up to the max and fill your resevoir, on road turn it back down, no problems!

Will let you know when I have decided!

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 02 Jun 2003, 09:06

Hi Phil,

Im not sure that the Scottoiler would be as effective if you ran it at the front sprocket.
Bargos