Frame cleaned and powdercoated

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Frame cleaned and powdercoated

Post by Bargos » 30 May 2003, 09:57

Hi

Picked up my frame today, it looks gorgeous in bright white powdercoated enamel. They dipped it in acid and gave it a mild bead clean to get it ready for the coating.

I masked off all the threads and the shells for the steering bearings however the shells are slightly discoloured (but clean) due to the acid treatment. I would imagine that they will be ok with a bit of a cleanup and some fresh grease?

I also need to make sure that the oil tank in the frame is clean and free of anything that could get into the oil pump. I was going to use a jet washer to blow the thing out, will this be enough or is there any other way that I can get the tank flush and decrease my paranoia?

Cheers
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 30 May 2003, 13:10

Bargos, use a mixture of petrol and oil, get some glass beads also. block off the bottom, and half fill it with mixture. Bung up the top and swing it all around for a few minuites. Rinse and repeat. the beads will remove any flaking on the inside and the fuel oil mix will be enough to swill it out.
Leave to dry for a few hours and fill back up with your favorite oil...

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 30 May 2003, 13:29

Admin,

Thanks for that, good idea.

Im getting spend fever!!! Just took delivery of my new red bars and Werx swingarm stickers. Have got a list of stuff to order from either David Silver or the Ducks at LeisureTrail and am aiming to have it ready for Woodberry Lane at Emsworth for July - anyone else fancy it?
Bargos

Robb
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Robb » 31 May 2003, 06:34

Hi Bargos,

Just a thought - maybe you should replace the bearing race's as the heat from the coating process may have taken the temper out of the steel and will leave them softer than before. :(

As I said, just a thought.

Robb

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 03 Jun 2003, 08:55

Hi Robb,

The bearing races are case hardened not tempered so it shouldn't be a problem as you have to grind it away to get rid of it. That's why they usually fail in one area (thin line), when a bearing has worn-away the hardening so its nothing to worry about.
Bargos