Carb Removal

keithl8187
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Carb Removal

Post by keithl8187 » 21 Mar 2008, 18:08

Is there a simple way of removing the carb? I've replaced the pilot jet but the bike just won't start now. Getting the carb off first time was a swine as the air box just wouldn't move back far enough to give enough of a gap to remove it off the intake rubber.
Ended up unbolting the rear subframe to make a bit more space.

Ref Won't start; checked plug, very good spark (and it's new), fuel flows from the drain screw, air screw 1 1/4 turn out, so I'm going to take the carb off again for another look.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

NaBz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Carb Removal

Post by NaBz » 22 Mar 2008, 00:26

twist and pull does it for me!
i twist the back out 1st :)
if you aint coming off you aint riding hard enough!

scrubs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by scrubs » 02 Apr 2008, 20:50

It can be done pretty easily its just getting used to the knack. To pull it out twist the carb so the top of the carb faces you,
then plull the left side of the carb to release. fit it back the same way putting it into the airbox first.

I'll put money on it that your bike isent starting because it isent seated in the intake rubber correctly at the reeds.
been in this situation before even though I was convinced I had intalled in correctly.
Double check the rubber boots, looking all the way round to the other side of them, underneath etc, If you don't find anything suspect loosen them up and fiddle and tighten again anyway.

keithl8187
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by keithl8187 » 03 Apr 2008, 21:13

Thanks for the tips. Second time of removal it got a bit easier to shift, just loosened the air box and pushed hard against it.

Starting's no problem now I set the float height correctly: If you simply turn the carb upside the little spring loaded plunger on the valve gets compressed, giving a false reading. I found it was better to lay the carb on its side and set the float height just as the valve closes.

NaBz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NaBz » 03 Apr 2008, 21:51

gj practice makes perfect!!
if you aint coming off you aint riding hard enough!