coolant leak?

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
coolant leak?

Post by phil1 » 07 Jul 2003, 21:01

hi all, don`t know if anyone can help but i think i am getting coolant into my gearbox oil.
The engine breather is then spraying oil into the airbox (where the pipe is routed)
I seem to have more oil than i put in and a bit of white residue round the filler cap, which is what makes me think it is a small amount of coolant.
any ideas how this is getting in ? I presume its a gasket and hope it can be changed `engine in frame`
over to you guys!

mark
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by mark » 08 Jul 2003, 00:14

Rather than judgeing it by white gunk around the oil filler cap
check the actual color of the Oil , IE drain some out and check that
as condensation can build up inside an engine if it is used for mostly short runs and it will leave a white gunk around the filler cap.

So check the color of the oil buddy.

And if you do have grey / white gearbox oil then it is likely to be
the seal on the waterpump shaft.

hope this helps :)

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 08 Jul 2003, 18:10

Thanks Mark sounds about right as the oil was a sort of grey colour when i changed it at the weekend.
is it hard to change this seal sounds like it might not be?

mark
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by mark » 08 Jul 2003, 22:12

Iv'e never changed one on a CRM Phil so i can't say for sure, but usually you just take off the clutch cover and
remove the top cover of the pump housing and then remove the impeller ( plastic fan thing ) off the water
pump shaft, pull the shaft out ( make a note of which way the oil seals are facing ) then drift out the oil seals ( sometimes theres 2 )
and drift new seals back in.

have a quick look at the waterpump shaft and make sure it is not overly scored where it runs in the oil seal's, if it is scored deeply then you are
best replacing the shaft.

hopefully one of the guys on here that has done this job on there CRM will come along and will be able to tell you the correct and full procedure.

Russell
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Russell » 10 Jul 2003, 23:13

Think my Mk3 has same problem as gearbox oil always seems high and quality of oil looks poo. Let me know the cost and how easy it is to fix.

Thanks

Russell.

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 11 Jul 2003, 04:01

Ah i remember the good old LC350 days where this was common. It is true, if the seal has gone you really should replace the impellor and seal together. water in the oil will make the gear oil emulsify, and go a brown creamy colour which goes like thick glue. if this is the case, then add a cupfull of diesel fuel to the gearbox, and run for 5 mins and dump it, top up with fresh and do the same again. This diesel will thin down the oil and clean the inside of the engine out without causing any damage (as diesel is rather oil based anyway) to seals or bearings.
Once you are sure it is all clean inside, then the easiest way on the LC was to tip the bike on its side and remove the right hand clutch cover, once removed the pump impellor and seal should be very easy to locate and replace. I dont know for sure but i suspect new parts will be around £40 tops inc a side gasket. Failing that if the impellor has no wear or ridges, then take the seal to a bearing stockist and get it matched with a twin lip seal if possible.
Christ for 4am in the morning that was good going for me (couldnt sleep and have done 2 more hours on the new look site ready for upload in the next week)