Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk2.2, Mk3
Oil pressure / leak

Post by Mudfacetony » 04 Jun 2008, 06:40

I hope someone can help with this one.

I got a MK2 cheap (I should have seen this coming). The engine sounds really good and pulls really well (as good as my very low milage AR).

At the weekend I used it for the first time and all looked great until I thrashed it on the road and really put the engine under load. gearbox oil was all over my foot and on close inspection a hole has been put in the oil cap.

Next day I put a different cap on and left the bike to warm up to change the oil. After 10 to 15 minutes the garage floor looked like I'd struck oil. The oil seemd to be coming from the front of the engine somewhere below the exhaust.

The ideas I have are carnk seals gone, with the crank pressurising the gearbox and the gasket between the two crank cases blown. Are my worst fears correct?
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

kernow krusty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Oil pressure / leak

Post by kernow krusty » 04 Jun 2008, 14:59

Hi tony,
Just summat worth a quick check...find out where the crankcase breather hose is routed. My MK 2 did the same thing to me when I got it and I was getting flappy! Turned out the gearbox was overfilled. Once set at the correct level, it was fine after. Is the breather tube routed round the front where the oil appears to be coming from?
The hole in the filler cap does sound pretty ominous though... :roll: :roll:
Regards KK
I phoned the Ramblers today, but the bloke on the phone just went on and on....

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 04 Jun 2008, 17:10

Does it smoke alarmingly?, as well as pressure pushing into the gearbox , you should also get a vacuum affect, sucking Gbox oil into the combustion tract .
Go with KK advice first , drain down and measure oil back in .
good luck
Mike.
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Mudfacetony » 05 Jun 2008, 06:41

fallenmikethebike wrote:Does it smoke alarmingly?, as well as pressure pushing into the gearbox , you should also get a vacuum affect, sucking Gbox oil into the combustion tract .
Go with KK advice first , drain down and measure oil back in .
good luck
Mike.
No smoke and pulls like a train
Team Mudface

Mudface tony is "Our Man at the handlebars" http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamMudface

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 05 Jun 2008, 10:29

definitely check gear oil level tony,had this prob 2 weeks ago on a weekender in barmouth.i'd changed the gear oil before my last w.o.r event and had done 2 days on the trail with no probs then went on the barmouth weekend,got to the first lane and theres smoke pouring from the front of the bike,stopped,checked and oil is being blown out from the breather hose i'd routed up to the headstock(for deep water riding),aaaah bollix me thinks,checked the g/box oil level and it was high by around 75 mls drained excess and it was fine after!! so definitely worth a look fella!

Mudfacetony
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Mudfacetony » 03 Jul 2008, 18:42

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It looks like its sorted - a blocked pipe and a little too much oil. phew! He's to some good days out on the MK2 and a little rest for the others
Team Mudface