NaBz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
my crm forks repairable?? safe??

Post by NaBz » 02 Apr 2009, 17:55

hi any ways of repair?

nick.
if you aint coming off you aint riding hard enough!

NaBz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: my crm forks repairable?? safe??

Post by NaBz » 02 Apr 2009, 17:56

thats the bigest bit of errosion but there are other smaller bits on them.

CR Mmmmm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by CR Mmmmm » 02 Apr 2009, 19:19

I would think the only way to do it is to get the leg in a lathe, so you can spin it, and use emery paper. That way you can get the turned look. It does,nt look that deep, and most of it will be laquer. I,ve got the lathe if you want to give it a go.

CR Mmmmm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CR Mmmmm » 02 Apr 2009, 19:25

I,ve just put my glasses on, and it looks pretty crappy. It would need skimming with a cutter. how much you could safely skim off, I don,t know, but someone will.

NaBz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NaBz » 02 Apr 2009, 20:09

so your saying take it down to good metal and leave it like that is there not a way to get the erroison off then build it back up with some material? fork legs will be covered once back on bike so i dont mind not geting the turned look back on the leg .
just want to be safe and slow the corrosion

nick

CR Mmmmm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CR Mmmmm » 02 Apr 2009, 20:43

They are made of aluminium, so they could be built up with weld, cleaned off and polished up. The parts that ar,nt badly corroded would probably clean up with a flap wheel, and polished, you need to get the corrosion off, and protect it with laquer. Like I said I,ll give it a go, but you would have to strip them right down, Ali melts when you get it to 2000 degrees, and it,s not like mild steel, the heat travels fast, so all seals would have to be removed. You would have to get them to me, I,m in Berkshire, I don,t know where computer is, I could,nt find it on my satnav.

NaBz
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NaBz » 02 Apr 2009, 20:45

lol im from oxford
if you could help if i pop up i would be greatly apreciative!!

nick.

CR Mmmmm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CR Mmmmm » 02 Apr 2009, 20:54

Right, I could do it on sunday morning, I,ll be in the worshop cleaning the A.R. I can PM you if up for it, mobile number, directions,etc.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 02 Apr 2009, 20:58

You can give it a go but from the photo I think you might have to take too much off.

Good Luck :!: .

CR Mmmmm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CR Mmmmm » 02 Apr 2009, 21:14

Mk1, I can build it up with weld, but the only thing that worries me is if there is a lip on the inside to take the seal, I can put a solid piece of round bar up the inside of the fork, but ali penetrates easily and if there is a recess for the seal it the ali would sink into it, would you know if there is a lip, recess at that point

MarkF12
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by MarkF12 » 02 Apr 2009, 21:27

Hi what about using supersteel its an epoxy-metal with a hardener i have used it on a crankcase repair ,but the items have to be spotless clean. When set it can be filed and sanded smooth . I assume this is a cosmetic repair only as I cant see how deep the damage is..

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 02 Apr 2009, 21:51

I don't think there is a lip but you will find out as soon as you take out the seal.

Using a steel bar is a good idea and will act as a heat sink to minimise distortion and keep it stable in the lathe using it as a mount. I'm assuming you will turn the bar down to a really snug fit. Sorry if I appear to be teaching you to suck eggs .........

The only problem then is finish. There are some hard anodising places around, there's one in Kidderminster, but I don't know how much they would charge to strip and redo a set.

The bottom line is it would almost certainly be easier to replace, and better with CR125 forks. But hey who said they don't like a project ...........................

Spokey
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Spokey » 02 Apr 2009, 22:10

the Mk III forks I bought - well, one of the pairs that were sold to me, were like that ( but far far worse ) - it's like the alloy has literally rotted away under the anodising - the anodising was blistering up and coming off and the alloy underneath was flaky and powdery - bad batch of forks ??

Personally I wouldn't waste your time trying to repair - just keep your eyes out for a new pair of forks ( or CR 125 ones ) on Ebay or ask on here if anyone has a set spare ( sorry, just sold both my pairs at a loss ).

Do Mk II forks suffer from this too? - could they be made to fit a Mk III?

That's one of the main reasons I stuck with my RWU forks on the Mk 1 ( and the fact it didn't look right with USD forks in )

Spokey

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 02 Apr 2009, 22:36

All USD forks suffer with this if they are used in the road.

CR Mmmmm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CR Mmmmm » 02 Apr 2009, 22:40

It would be quite a job, it looks from the photo that the worst bit is about 3mm deep. You would have to use a burr to get to the bottom of the corrosion, How deep you would need to go would determine whether it,s repairable. One thing is for sure, I will be having my fork protectors off at the weekend to suss out if mine are starting to corrode.