rear brake pads.

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
rear brake pads.

Post by phil1 » 13 Jan 2003, 18:20

My MK2 seems to get through its rear pads very quickly. I believe this is common enough but has anyone tried wavey or solid discs, and has it made any difference?
Also what about some of the covers offered by leasure trail etc.
Maybe I`ve just been spoilt, as my 1982 DR400 has drums front and rear, these last forever, but I suspect thats cos they never worked anyway. I await your cash saving tips. Phil.

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 13 Jan 2003, 18:27

I had a cover on my MK2 and got 5000 from a set, my AR with no cover shafted a set in just under 2000.
Perhaps the cover stops some of the crud getting in

double_clutch
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by double_clutch » 13 Jan 2003, 20:53

i found that wen u get some sandy/muddy crap on ur bike the brake pads seem to dissaper! EBC racing pads are the best i have ever found
Live Fast Die Young
Dont Drink And Drive, You'll Spill It

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 13 Jan 2003, 22:43

I`ve got EBC in at the moment but not sure which, wouldn`t racing ones be softer?.
agree about the mud and crap,mine is always under a layer, Even though I wash it after every outing, its all green laning. I think thats whats killing them.
might try the solid disc when this one dies. cheers phil.

double_clutch
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by double_clutch » 15 Jan 2003, 00:15

when u say solid disc's do u mean that they have no holes in them, just like 1 solid circular lump of metal?
Live Fast Die Young

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 15 Jan 2003, 17:56

yes a solid disc, no holes. all bikes used to have them B4 them new fangled drilled discs came out! I believe the brake pads last a lot longer in mucky conditions. i think people use them more on the back brack I again I think leasure trail do them. still got loads of meat on the back though and fancy the wavy ones as they look cooler.
GSR engineering advert in TBM for front and rear discs + pads £89 inc p&p seems worth a look when it comes up. (not B4 MOT)

double_clutch
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by double_clutch » 15 Jan 2003, 18:09

oh rite ive never seen them, they must be pretty heavy though, and wont u suffer from some brake fading when going down a hill or summin??
Live Fast Die Young

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 19 Jan 2003, 20:30

shouldn`t be much in it weight wise, but may affect cooling and get some fade if used very hard. just looked a the back again on mine and the pad on the caliper side is Knackered, the other one is nearly new. I did make sure it all moved when i put the new ones in but now i have taken it apart and greased all the pins. The pad wasn`t EBC, that turned out to be the front ones, which are fine. the back ones have gold stamped on them, probably denotes how soft they are.
I can`t have done 500 miles on these. put them in about a month ago.
I`ll stick some EBC ones in now, what are these race ones called do you have a part number?

double_clutch
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by double_clutch » 19 Jan 2003, 23:37

i dunno what number they are on the crm but i know they are like 'EBC - for off raod use' they have a picture if a motorcross bike in the bottom right corner
Live Fast Die Young

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 26 Jan 2003, 21:17

changed the pads they lasted 5 weeks, the pin they slide on had a notch in it so the inside one has hardly any wear on it where the other one was down to the bone. that answers the question of why i was getting such crap life out of them.