Weathered Bolts

ChrisMckay
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Weathered Bolts

Post by ChrisMckay » 25 Jan 2003, 07:25

Starting the teardown of my mk2, and I'm pulling off ugly bolt after ugly weathered bolt, is there any suggestions for refurbishing these? Or do I just replace every bolt on the bike? I bet that would get kind of expensive eventually :)

Chris

double_clutch
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by double_clutch » 25 Jan 2003, 12:47

well you can pt them in coca cola for a little while or try wire brushing them clean but after you do that whats to say that it isnt going to do the same again.
Live Fast Die Young
Dont Drink And Drive, You'll Spill It

phil1
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by phil1 » 25 Jan 2003, 20:02

buying them from a honda dealer will cost you, but just go to to a fixings & fastner company, there are loads around, and you will get most of the ones you need very cheaply. same thing probably applies to the bearings. if you have the originals they can usually match them. regards Phil

SteveCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by SteveCRM » 25 Jan 2003, 21:53

the nuts and bolts will be coated so if you use a wire brush you will remove more coating and they will become dirty and rusty quicker.

If you buy the bolts from anywhere other than m/bike dealers the head sizes will be different ie lots of honda bolts have 12mm heads these will become 13mm heads which is ok but some places on your bike have recesses for the heads to sit in. if you get e bigger headed bolt chances are you wont fit your bigger socket in the recesses when tightening the bolts. so chose your bolts carefully.

I personally try and always avoid buying honda parts because there so expensive, after market are just as good. Anyway most Honda dealers I have been to dont even know the CRM exists, they normally ask if its a CR or Suzuki RM I am on about.

Best one was the person who told me that he raced MX and Enduro for ten years FOR HONDA and he was positive Honda never made a CRM, He basicly told me I was speaking c*\"p.

we all know different dont we?

hope that makes sense!!

ChrisMckay
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by ChrisMckay » 26 Jan 2003, 03:56

Bah, guess that mean I do the old making a lit and going to honda to match up hundreds of dollars worth of bolts... Sorta want it to have the sorta stock look to it o randomly sourcing bolts may not quite work :)

Chris

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
replacement bolts

Post by Bargos » 27 Jan 2003, 11:24

Chris,

You must be a wealthy man if you can honestly afford to replace all the bolts on your CRM!! Honda spares are well known for being high-priced, whats wong with using some replacements?
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

Russell
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Russell » 27 Jan 2003, 11:41

Must be cheaper and quicker to take all bolts off bike and take them to a local plating company, who should be able to clean and replate them for good price, especially if you can get a cash deal.
My local platers charge £20.00 for small batch of parts.

Bargos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:

Post by Bargos » 27 Jan 2003, 12:37

Russell,

You are right, it WILL be cheaper!

Ive been through this many times myself but funnily enough re-plating works the best on unblemished components and will actually highlight any sections that have been attacked by rust. Personally I would go down the stainless bolt route - if I wanted my bolts to look like corroded Honda items after 10 minutes use I would go with mild steel replacements. Actually, mild steel replacements would probably last quite well in S.A.'s climate, no?
Bargos

'Daybreak Boys', West Sussex

ChrisMckay
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by ChrisMckay » 28 Jan 2003, 02:49

I'm not really rich, I'm just picky how my baby should go back together :(

I will actually try and find good looking aftermarket hardware when I put it back together, though I may go to honda to replace the external 8mm engine bolts unless I can get them from another vendor with the stock 8mm w/built in washer type... Honestly... My bike would be considered not worth fixing anywhere that they were more common... It's just almost as rare as a legitimate pink polka-dot elephant here so I want it to turn out... _nice_ :)

Chris

SteveCRM
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by SteveCRM » 28 Jan 2003, 19:12

My friend had a pink polka dot elephant, he used the wrong nuts (dry roasted) and it turned out all naff, i did tell him to use monkey nuts but he laughed at me and siad they were for monkeys.

jackstribe
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jackstribe » 29 Jan 2003, 19:03

lads, in the words of my glorious old chief:

\" If you pay peanuts you get monkeys\"

nuff said.
Jack
:roll:
Happy CRM'in !