resistance of bulb

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
resistance of bulb

Post by SkidMark » 18 Sep 2011, 16:07

quick question - anyone got a rear light bulb 12v21/5W hanging around and a multimeter? could you measure the resistance through each filament for me and let me know what it is.
Thanks
SKidMark
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: resistance of bulb

Post by fallenmikethebike » 18 Sep 2011, 18:08

Not my field of expertise, but, I have a reading of , less than .2 of an OHM on one, and virtually zero on the other.
I cleaned the terminals before measuring.
I don't have a spare holder to test which is which though.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Hallsy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Hallsy » 18 Sep 2011, 19:48

I don't have a lamp in front of me to measure, but should be able to work it out with basic forumlae.

P = IV, so I = P/V = 21/12 = 1.75A for 21W filament.
and 5/12 = 0.417A for 5W filament.

Then, V = IR, so R = V/I = 12/1.75 = 6.86 ohm for 21W filament
and 12/0.417 = 28.78 ohm for 5W filament.

Hope that helps :)

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 20 Sep 2011, 18:53

thanks for your reply guys. Hallsy I already calculated that but I used R-E2P as they were the values I had... ;)
Anyway the calculated values and measured values don't tie up as Mike's figures showed. The reason for all this was to figure out which wire at the Tail/Brake light was for each. I know that the green is GND but could someone tell me which of the brown and green/yellow are for the tail light and which is for the brake light.

:roll: Cheers SkidMark
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 20 Sep 2011, 19:13

I take the capacitor out of the wiring system (the one near the headstock) and replace it with a lower voltage battery (I use a PP9 (9v)). This way I can test all the wiring and switches.

You could use a much lower voltage if you think that 9v would damage the electronics I suppose but this is the way I've always done it without problems. Can't get much current to do damage due to the internal resistance of such a small battery :?: .

But ARs are such finicky creatures ...........

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 20 Sep 2011, 19:51

thanks but just tried that doesn't seem to work on a AR - I got the neutral light on but nothing else... :(
AR's rock!!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 20 Sep 2011, 20:09

Check the colour of the wires coming out of the brake light switch :?: .

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 20 Sep 2011, 20:21

knackeredMk1 wrote:Check the colour of the wires coming out of the brake light switch :?: .
THANK YOU - black and green/yellow so I can take it that the green/yellow is the feed for the brake light! :)
AR's rock!!!