Re valved fork internals

Joe
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re valved fork internals

Post by Joe » 26 Sep 2011, 14:06

Hello, I have a set of forks for a mk 2 crm which i have removed from my bike to fit some crf forks.
I revalve mostly road bike forks but decided to strip the crm cartridges to see why they have so little damping !
i have found the compression valving to be very soft and the rebound piston has a huge bleed causing little rebound damping.

If anyone is interested in buying them i would revalve these cartridges and replace the rebound piston, giving much better damping.

i could also shorten them / valve them for supermoto use

The fork outers are not in great condition, so i would just supply the cartridges which are pretty easy to fit into your own forks

Cheers Joe

Shockdoctor
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: XR600
Re: Re valved fork internals

Post by Shockdoctor » 27 Sep 2011, 09:40

Hey Joe, it's Adam from SMU Owen said you had a CRM so I'm assuming this is you, I've got me a CRM as well. I am also looking to fit a CRF front end that I adapted to fit my XR600. I'd be interested to know how you plan on fitting yours.

Joe
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Joe » 27 Sep 2011, 12:11

Hi Adam, when i put the front end in i used crf yokes with a standard crm stem which i modified (made spacers on the lathe) but i think you can get bearings so you can use the crf stem from all balls. i used a standard crf front wheel but have a set of supermoto wheels in it now. i have a crf swingarm fitted now and am on with fitting a crf linkage and ohlins rear road shock and use it full time supermoto!

ill put some pics up at some point !

Joe
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Joe » 27 Sep 2011, 12:13

I forgot you will have to make a new lock stop to !

deano123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Two , mk2'S

Post by deano123 » 27 Sep 2011, 14:01

can you revalve standard forks then ?

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 27 Sep 2011, 14:05

Yes.

Joe
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Joe » 27 Sep 2011, 15:23

I can only speak for the mk2 forks as there the only ones i have stripped. The cartridges are ok for 'budget' internals, the biggest draw back is the lack of rebound adjustment, which is why they have 3 big bleeds in the rebound piston which are far to big, causing very little low speed rebound, so to sort the rebound the rebound piston should be modified or replaced, and revalved a little stiffer. The compression side is better, the compression piston design is quite good, similar to a race tech gold valve piston, and is still in use today on some showa forks, the low speed and high speed shim stacks just need stiffening up.

deano123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Two , mk2'S

Post by deano123 » 27 Sep 2011, 21:25

ok how much to revalve a set of standard forks then ? also what about a spring to suit rider weight ?

back off road
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: KTM 200 exc

Post by back off road » 27 Sep 2011, 22:23

can you do owt with the rear ?
Im thinking about a bike with more valves than a powervalve

Shockdoctor
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: XR600

Post by Shockdoctor » 27 Sep 2011, 23:55

You got a CRF swing arm in as well, is that a straight in? Hmmmmm I know where there's a Carbon Fibre one of those ;-)

Joe
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Joe » 28 Sep 2011, 17:22

I was going to let people make an offer on these internals i have, or if there was enough intrest i would work out a price and maybe do some kind or exchange were you send the standard ones and i send the modified ones. I would only be able to do a limited amount as i would be using rebound pistons from damaged and bent road forks i have , so i could do probably 5 sets, using aftermarket pistons would just be to expensive.

As for springs i have not even measured them to be honest, but im sure they are available.

Yes i can service, revalve or shorten shocks for supermoto use, as long as the chrome is ok on the shaft, if not its about £80 more and a long turn around for re chroming.

and as for crf swing arm, its not a straight fit. Everything needs quite major surgery !

if anyone is interested pm me !