Bad kill switch.

Pie-eyedpiper
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2
Bad kill switch.

Post by Pie-eyedpiper » 02 Jan 2012, 22:28

My Mk2 starting problem turned out to be a kill switch with dodgy connections.

Can the normal 2 way switch be swapped for the push button type?
I remember reading this before somewhere that it might not be possible because one closes the ignition circuit to stop and the other opens the circuit.

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Bad kill switch.

Post by twistednuts » 03 Jan 2012, 00:15

A switch is a switch. If you mean the push button type where the button actually stays in or out then it should work.

I remember that other post you mention, i think that was adding a push switch whilst retaining the original. Im probably wrong though.

Anyway, any on/off switch should do for the kill switch

kernow crusty
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by kernow crusty » 03 Jan 2012, 09:54

Hi Pie,
The standard switch, as you say, is a two way type - in electronics we describe them as latching, coz they latch on or off.
The other kill switches you tend to see on 'crossers are push button momentary switches, i.e. they are only 'on' whilst your finger is on the button.
In theory, there should be no problem fitting a momentary push button to a CRM. Mine is unfortunately not close, so I cant check the wiring, but most kill switches connect an earth to stop the bike and the real cheap push button types do this by just shorting one wire to the bars inside the switch.
To be honest, id suggest going for a latching type, and some of the small button type switches are latching (push on, the push off) and get one with two wires to connect to the wires from the old switch.
I certainly dont scrimp on kill switches! As you have found out, a dodgy switch is a pain in the rear. If you fancy a smaller push button type, Id go for a genuine Honda/Yamaha etc switch and I reckon even a tidy second hand Jap switch is better than a new pattern type.
For an element of security, you could tuck a push button one away somewhere hidden, so it could act as a basic immobiliser!

Regards kc

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 03 Jan 2012, 17:23

As a caveat, I would also add, I have seen MX bikes go on full noise, and the only thing those push button kill switches do is light up the rider :shock: , and the bike carries on revving till the death throes kick in :roll: :roll: Yes I know there's a key as a last resort, but remembering that at the time is not always the first thought on you're mind.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 03 Jan 2012, 19:42

Yeah, i meant the push on/push off ones. Bergs got one, an the picture has worn off, an i can never remember if its in for on, out for off etc... :?

Pie-eyedpiper
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2

Post by Pie-eyedpiper » 03 Jan 2012, 19:49

Thanks guys.
Do I take it then that using a simple "moto x" press switch is not to be recommended?

kernow crusty
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by kernow crusty » 03 Jan 2012, 21:15

Hi Pie,
Personally, I wouldnt for the reasons mentioned...Id stick with the push on push off type, mind you that reminds me of my Berg...a 93 FE350....usually ended up pushing that to get it on, before it then decided to push me off!

Rgds kc

Berm basher
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Berm basher » 05 Jan 2012, 18:53

I have a NOS one - £25 delivered.
Attachments
CRM kill switch.JPG