Slipping Kickstart

Eddie Evans
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Slipping Kickstart

Post by Eddie Evans » 13 Feb 2012, 21:17

Anyone found the answer to why the kickstart starts to slip yet?
I know that I have previously compared two kickstart mechanisms , one that worked fine and one that slipped in cold weather and could not see any obvious reason for the difference.
During the last ride out mine started to slip again so stripped the bike down and fitted a spare mechanism. Got it all back together and found that the spare was doing exactly the same that is slipping.
Pulled the original mechanism apart stretched the springs and reassembled it before fitting it into the bike. Worked OK in the garage but failed miserably Sunday morning when I needed a push start from a couple of Jaffa riders. :oops:
I did however manage the rest of the day without their help so it was not all bad.

I'm now going to fit another mechanism to the bike but really can't see what is wrong with the two that have already been fitted. The teeth on the ratchet and cogs are fine. All that I can think is that there is some wear on the splines or shaft causing the mechanism to not mesh.

Any thoughts.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Slipping Kickstart

Post by knackeredMk1 » 13 Feb 2012, 22:13

I've also done this before. Taken a kickstart that was slipping and finding absolutely nothing wrong. Put it back and it still slips. Yet put another in and that one doesn't :? .

Baffling :evil: .

Fanat
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: Slipping Kickstart

Post by Fanat » 29 Feb 2012, 07:56

very viscous oil in kickstarter