clutch plate thickness

briangoo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 j reg 91
clutch plate thickness

Post by briangoo » 28 Feb 2012, 12:25

hi my mk2 clutch is playing up so im wondering how thick the clutch plates should be to see if they need changed ??????????
thanx in advance

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 AR
Re: clutch plate thickness

Post by Active Rascal » 28 Feb 2012, 15:10

On thr AR theyre not supposed to be no less thatln 2.9mm I think. Whats the symptons?

briangoo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by briangoo » 28 Feb 2012, 19:07

basically it sometimes is hard to change through the gears but the old owner has put some nuts on the outer cable to hold the cable further out & the adjuster is fully out. but the clutch does not slip so an oil change & check the old plates 1st before ordering parts. LT want around £70 for clutch casing gasket, springs & plates. dave silver wanted nearly £100

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by Active Rascal » 28 Feb 2012, 20:54

Be careful, I bought plates and springs from LT; they sold me heavy duty springs which were shorter than standard, and EBC discs. The cutch has always dragged since engine rebuild, so I stripped it and put the original plates and springs out my other AR in and it's been perfect. The relaxed spring length will decrease over time, and this will cause slipping. Is your cable good and not stretched? I assume you've tried playing around with the adjustment a little?

briangoo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by briangoo » 28 Feb 2012, 22:32

i dont know about the cable but i wouldnt be surprised if it were stretched. but if the clutch plates are ok then i will try the cable. basically a case of try, check, measure & see what happens

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by Active Rascal » 28 Feb 2012, 22:42

It's not only the wear on the plates, but their flatness also that is important. The steel plates should be bright and shiny, and unwarped. I think the tolerance is around 0.2mm warpage allowance from memory. Not sure about friction plates but think it's the same or similar.

Try and get yourself a manual to get specs and measure all components as accurately as possible before spending your money!! I could be just a stretched cable or something? Check your freeplay on the lever, again from memory think this should be 5-10mm at end of lever?

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 28 Feb 2012, 22:55

If the clutch plates were too thin then this would make the clutch slip more easily and would not effect the gearchange - certainly not to make it harder. Difficult gear changes tend to come from 3 sources -

1) Notching of the clutch basket.
2) Wear on the gearchange dogs.
3) Wear/damage on the tracks that the dogs run through on the gearchange drum.

To make the clutch harder to disengage you would need thicker plates, warped plates, stronger springs or worn cable.

First thing I would do is to replace the cable and make sure it is routed with as smooth bends as possible then denotch the clutch basket. If that doesn't work you're into taking the engine out and splitting the cases.

briangoo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by briangoo » 29 Feb 2012, 17:39

hi i just remembered i had downloaded the crm manual off this site its 3mm as shown underneath

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r56 ... 185806.jpg