Electrical issues

Cadiddy
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Electrical issues

Post by Cadiddy » 07 Apr 2012, 20:52

After getting my mk2 running right its come to the stage where i'm putting the lights and things back on and have come upon a problem with rear light and indicators, the rear light seems to be on in the braking position (not sure thats the right word) but its the brighter setting if that makes sense, and the indicators are super dim compared with the front, i have a good earth connection so i dont think that is the problem, just wondering what you guys thought may be the problem?
The rear light is a new LED jobby don't know if that should make a difference?

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Electrical issues

Post by knackeredMk1 » 07 Apr 2012, 21:00

I hate electricals :x . But you may find that the rear brake switch is adjusted poorly so it is on all the time. You could isolate either brake switch in turn to find which one is malfunctioning.

The indicators - Maybe a different type or wattage of bulb :?:

I'm sure others can be of more help on this...............

Cadiddy
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Cadiddy » 09 Apr 2012, 13:10

I've unplugged both switches and it still seems really bright and neither switch makes a difference. Any suggestions as to where to go from here?
As for the indicators all four are the same new brand, i've tried testing the voltage but the readings seemed very suspect so am ignoring that for now

SkidMark
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by SkidMark » 09 Apr 2012, 13:32

Cadiddy wrote:After getting my mk2 running right its come to the stage where i'm putting the lights and things back on and have come upon a problem with rear light and indicators, the rear light seems to be on in the braking position (not sure thats the right word) but its the brighter setting if that makes sense, and the indicators are super dim compared with the front, i have a good earth connection so i dont think that is the problem, just wondering what you guys thought may be the problem?
The rear light is a new LED jobby don't know if that should make a difference?
sounds like you wiring isn't quite right. The LED rear light should be obviously brighter when the brake lever is pressed. Is it? You say the rear light seems to be on when the brake is pressed? Is it or isn't it? With an LED light it is just the number of led's that come on depending on the whether just the light is on or the brake is pressed to make it brighter I believe.

1. Double check out wiring connections.
2. Measure the resistance of the end of the light ground wire to the frame.
3. Check the adjustment of your brake light switch - it maybe be adjusted such that it is just making connection even when your not pressing the brake pedal.

Regards
SkidMark
AR's rock!!!
TwinAir filter, Braided Brake Hoses, Swingarm/Shock bearings done!, Rear Shock overhauled and customised by G-Force, 14-44 Gearing, Exhaust decoked (fun with Caustic Soda!), DEP silencer.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 09 Apr 2012, 13:44

IMO,either the the wires need swapping over on their respective terminals, ie, back light/ 2 brake light, ect.
Or, less likely, you've managed to the LED lamp in the wrong position, but still able to work.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Cadiddy
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Cadiddy » 09 Apr 2012, 22:36

[quote="SkidMark"][quote="Cadiddy"]After getting my mk2 running right its come to the stage where i'm putting the lights and things back on and have come upon a problem with rear light and indicators, the rear light seems to be on in the braking position (not sure thats the right word) but its the brighter setting if that makes sense, and the indicators are super dim compared with the front, i have a good earth connection so i dont think that is the problem, just wondering what you guys thought may be the problem?
The rear light is a new LED jobby don't know if that should make a difference?[/quote]

sounds like you wiring isn't quite right. The LED rear light should be obviously brighter when the brake lever is pressed. Is it? You say the rear light seems to be on when the brake is pressed? Is it or isn't it? With an LED light it is just the number of led's that come on depending on the whether just the light is on or the brake is pressed to make it brighter I believe.

1. Double check out wiring connections.
2. Measure the resistance of the end of the light ground wire to the frame.
3. Check the adjustment of your brake light switch - it maybe be adjusted such that it is just making connection even when your not pressing the brake pedal.

Regards
SkidMark[/quote]

The light doesnt get any brighter when either the front or rear brake is activated, i've disconnected both switches and this made no difference, as for number of LED's they are all on at present, so going by what you just said the brake light is on all the time.
I will follow your suggestions and report back when i know.
Thanks

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 09 Apr 2012, 23:38

I didnt want to say try swapping the wires round, Mike is braver than me :lol:

This is assuming the light has seperate brake and tail light patterns, could it be just tail light?

The indicators might be buggered, try putting the front on the back and vice versa to see if you get the same results.

Cadiddy
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Cadiddy » 10 Apr 2012, 13:30

Already tried swapping the wires, no joy, i'll try swapping the indicators and see where that gets me, i'm 99% sure it is a stop/tail light as it has 3 wires instead of just 2 to light it up or am i wrong?

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 10 Apr 2012, 18:09

Nah mate, i think your deffo right. One for brake, one tail an the other earth.

The light might be buggered. Do you have a spare 12 volt battery to try connecting it to, to check it etc. You could do that with the indicators too

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 10 Apr 2012, 18:49

PP3 9v batery will also work and is a bit safer than a full 12v car battery :!: .

Cadiddy
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Cadiddy » 11 Apr 2012, 13:31

i'll try that when i get home at the weekend and maybe pull the light apart and see if there is anything untoward there

kernow crusty
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by kernow crusty » 14 Apr 2012, 11:02

HI cadiddy,
Just wondering about your probs.
Are your new indicators LED type too and when you try them do they flash or just stay on? The way the flasher relay works, it relies on the power taken by a pair of old type bulbs to make it flash, so LED types wont take enough power to make the flasher relay work properly.
Dim lights often result from poor earth, so maybe worth checking that again.
As commented, a full tail/stop rear light should have 3 wires.
Bear in mind that some LED units are just a tail light function...do you have the make/model and any packaging for it to check this?
Id also suggest unplugging the rear light and use a PP9 battery to test it...you should get standard light for tail, brighter for stop. Thatd prove its working.
Regards kc

Cadiddy
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Cadiddy » 14 Apr 2012, 11:23

the indicators are conventional bulb type but am about to check the earth and try swapping the front to the back to see if this makes a difference as suggested above.
Will also try the rear light with the 9v battery
Cheers

Cadiddy
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Cadiddy » 15 Apr 2012, 13:21

So i've sorted the rear light turned out to be a dodgey connector, changed that out and now working fine, the indicators on the other hand i couldn't get the rear ones to flash, i tried swapping front to rear but was no different, there is 3.5 ohms resistance between the frame earth and the lights, is that a lot? Not sure what to try now?

garyd
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk3

Post by garyd » 15 Apr 2012, 19:15

I bet you can get a good earth off ebay ,i buy all manner o shite off there