fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
best way to seperate brake calipers?

Post by fishtail » 30 Apr 2012, 13:47

well my brakes were pants..

and today I went part way to trying to correct that...

took the old screwy hose off ( done by the bodge fairies )

the pads were down to 1mm on one side and 2-3 mm on the other..

installed a new steel braided hose - ( HK$ 450 from a shop ) well I figured once you factor in postage....

new pads...

actually had a hell of fight getting the new brake pads far enough apart to get on the disc.. wasnt thumb pressure for sure... I wedged 2 allen keys in there and well frankly it was nt easy..

:arrow: whats the best way to do this? :?: ( i screwed up and passed the hose on the outside of the forks - :o so have to take them off to wrap it around the inside. )

actually after at first the brakes seemed like they were binding... ie was a struggle to push it - wasnt rolling down hills too well..

after a few km got better -

Now I can say the brakes are better than before for sure.. :) they feel better - maybe its the new fluid and better non bodged hose )

i got a ride out on sat - so feel a bit happier about that

but maybe I will buy a new disk - this one looks sort of grooved .. groovy brake pads dont rick eh?

anything to look out for taking the calipers apart? should I just buy new calipers and be done with it? or should I take them apart ( I do have a set of seals you think its worth putting those in? examining internal conditions first? )
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: best way to seperate brake calipers?

Post by twistednuts » 30 Apr 2012, 14:02

Hell yeah, just refurb them. Then they will be like new.

Just strip the lot, clean everything up. New seals, and even treat it to new pistons if they look buggered. Smear the seals with brake fluid before putting the pistons in.

While your at it, put a new bleed nipple on.

There ya go, you now have a new caliper :D

Btw, once youve done all this you should be able to thumb the pistons in

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 30 Apr 2012, 14:23

hmm yeah I guess I will have to take em apart to see if I need new pistons.. ( they're about 35 quid each on ebay )

if the pistons are shagged ( what are the chances? ) will it be hard to get the buggers back in? ie will it be off the road for a while?
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 30 Apr 2012, 14:28

just watched a couple of youtubes.. seems the smart arse way of doing it is with an air compresser... ( more cash!!! )

:?: :?: :?: :?: i mean in *theory* I should just be able to pump them out with brake fluid?

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ie take brake pads out and just keep pumpin the brake lever?

would that work?

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 30 Apr 2012, 17:43

Cover the pistons with a cloth, pop a piece of thin packing in front of the pistons, use normal foot pump with an beach ball type adaptor in the end, hold in the hole where the nipple has been removed from, pump away, carefully, and slowly.
New pistons will push back in easily, though a G clamp used sensitively will aid the process.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

voodookid37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk1

Post by voodookid37 » 30 Apr 2012, 18:21

i used various methods for years......pump out one at a time,use a footpump,pack and use an airline. blah blah

but then.....i bit the bullet and bought one of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Motorc ... 4d0041e897

as i ride all my bikes in all weathers,it has proven it's worth, simple yet effective.... :OMG

adds.......no i don't work for them ...and yes kids there are other variants by other companies..... :lol:
mk1... with mk2.2 engine,running mk1 electrics,mk1 carb on standard mk1 jetting + settings.dep front pipe.jap alloy can of unknown make. twinair filter on plastic cage.l/h mk1 rad.r/h mk2 (extra coolant takeoff on 2.2 head)
xr650 wheels .gritty front,mitas rear

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 30 Apr 2012, 18:25

awesome - thanks FMTB..

I'll probably do it next week - depends how busy I get...

and how well they work over the weekend... they are definitely better than before now..

( but not as big an improvement as I experienced on the wife's TW - altho in all seriousness that did appear to have dirty water for fluid! at least for the first half of the draining! the CRM fluid was dirty - but at least it was fluid! )

is it easy to change the disc? just looks like a bunch of bolts..

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 30 Apr 2012, 18:28

If the pistons arent moving when pumping brake lever, then use mikes way.

If they are then just pump till they pop out. Have a large bucket cos it gets messy.

You should be able to do everything in a couple of hours. Just take ya time, keep everythin clean etc. Some copper grease on caliper pivot bolts is nice too.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 30 Apr 2012, 18:29

voodookid37 wrote:i used various methods for years......pump out one at a time,use a footpump,pack and use an airline. blah blah

but then.....i bit the bullet and bought one of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Motorc ... 4d0041e897

as i ride all my bikes in all weathers,it has proven it's worth, simple yet effective.... :OMG

adds.......no i don't work for them ...and yes kids there are other variants by other companies..... :lol:
thanks - thats a head's up - since I am learning to maintain all 3 bikes in the "fleet" I will see how I get on with this pump method an bear in mind. ( I have an airbed foot pump that I will try.. )

there's also a really great shop locally that sells tools dirt cheap!

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 30 Apr 2012, 18:30

An if your still strugglin, ask John to help...

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 30 Apr 2012, 18:32

twistednuts wrote:If the pistons arent moving when pumping brake lever, then use mikes way.

If they are then just pump till they pop out. Have a large bucket cos it gets messy.

You should be able to do everything in a couple of hours. Just take ya time, keep everythin clean etc. Some copper grease on caliper pivot bolts is nice too.
cheers Twisted.. sort of found it satisfying today.. I was thinking of giving them a lick of paint at the same time too.

( altho rest of bike is looking waaaay shabbier than 3 months ago ..... since I seem to spend a lot of time picking it up :P )

john7780
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm 250 mk2

Post by john7780 » 30 Apr 2012, 19:22

twistednuts wrote:An if your still strugglin, ask John to help...
nice one :lol:
front brakes only slow you down anyway!!!!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 01 May 2012, 04:48

how often do people recommend taking calipers off the rim and giving them a scrub? ( can do with out removing pistons etc - ie hanging off the hose at the side of the bike? )

Pie-eyedpiper
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2

Post by Pie-eyedpiper » 01 May 2012, 20:58

I was amazed at the difference in lever feel after fitting a new disc. The old one didn't look too bad, but clearly was.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 02 May 2012, 16:28

well I think I will overhaul the calipers first if the weather is OK next week..

altho out of curiosity anyone used these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Front-B ... b7e1f#shId

or should I get a wavy disk?

next I will be complaining about the divey forks again... :D

alltho I hit a mother of a hump yesterday and enjoyed the soft landing.. actually I didnt realise I was flying at first...