CRM 250 mk3 ? mk2 purchased unseen.

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CR500/CRM250MK3
CRM 250 mk3 ? mk2 purchased unseen.

Post by mudboots » 01 Jul 2012, 03:04

Hi I'm Brad new to your site but have been doing a fiar bit of reading before now writing anything.
I live in two places work here in Australia but call nothern Thailand home theses days last week i purchased a 1994 CRM 250 mk3 of a German guy off GT.Rider.com ( http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... da-CRM-250 ) site unseen CRM 250 road regesterd are bloody hard to find in Thailand now im not so sure i think it might be a mk2 by the look of the plastics if i could work out how to put a photo on here i would but if one of you were to follow the http above it will take you to the page and a photo of it i am a member of GT Riders as well. My wife and brother inlaw have now picked it up but i am still waiting for close up photos.
The guy being German his english is not crash hot he has owned the bike from new and owns a adventure dirtbike tour company there i asked about the motor 'still standerd no mod's to the motor as it had a chrome expansion chamber on it i asked what brand it was for i could get a new tail pipe for it here in OZ he said it came with the bike so standard.
I have been reading here where with some tail silencers or more the race type tailpipes need re jetting? I was thinking of putting a PRO Circuit 304 factroy sound on it can i get away with it ?
Untill i get my hands on it i think i will be trying to source lots of parts.

Cheers Brad

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: CRM 250 mk3 ? mk2 purchased unseen.

Post by knackeredMk1 » 01 Jul 2012, 07:50

From the photos I would say you have a Mk1 with USD forks, an aftermarket headlight and expansion chamber, a different rear brake caliper and a 'different' rear wheel.

Tailpipe probably won't need rejetting.

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mudboots » 19 Jul 2012, 22:39

Thanks for that knackered
Sorry its taken me time to get the misses to send me some photos + get a bit more info off the guy i got it off but i think your right about it being mk1.
But the green book for rego says it was made in 1994?
i have off road rims as well as on road the red ones are off( Yamaha TZ 750 wheels)
i can not seem to find out what the forks are off ?
the expansion chamber looks like its been cut and welded to fit
Engine: D 24E- 1001627
MD 24- 100 1510
i was wanting to buy jets (kit of sizes) for it and new boyesen 2 stage reeds
can you confirm from engine number that it is a mk1?
the bike will have been sitting for nearly 6 months before i get my hands on it and can you give me some hints on what to clean before i try and start it and what the best way to park it up again befor i leave for it will be sitting a long time again.
thanks for any help you can give knackered

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 05 Feb 2013, 22:06

Engine and frame nos. are for a Mk1.

Sorry about response time :oops: .

Spokey
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Spokey » 06 Feb 2013, 10:28

Looks like it could be a standard mk1 exhaust that's been chrome or nickel plated, the cover has the plastic bit missing out of it ?

Interesting choice of back wheel

Cheers

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mudboots » 06 Feb 2013, 23:29

I have gust taken a hour to write you about the bike and all things I found wrong with it as well as new parts from around the world I have now gotten for it and for some reason when I hit the submit it asked me to log in again its all lost !!!! how about adding a auto save guys.
I will do again when I can find the time. :(
Cheers Brad

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 07 Feb 2013, 17:33

mudboots wrote:I have gust taken a hour to write you about the bike and all things I found wrong with it as well as new parts from around the world I have now gotten for it and for some reason when I hit the submit it asked me to log in again its all lost !!!! how about adding a auto save guys.
I will do again when I can find the time. :(
Cheers Brad
:( Empathy from me.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:

Post by knackeredMk1 » 07 Feb 2013, 18:12

I've had that happen a few times. If you want to do a long post do it in Word or such like, and then cut and paste it in..............

Spokey
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Spokey » 07 Feb 2013, 21:06

[quote="knackeredMk1"]I've had that happen a few times. If you want to do a long post do it in Word or such like, and then cut and paste it in..............[/quote]
+1 yeah, that .... :BB

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by mudboots » 07 Feb 2013, 23:23

Well i will try again guys.
On Dec 22/2012 with work finished for the year a rather large sutecase stuffed with my hemet,mx boots, new raidiator shrouds, a pro circuit 304 tale pipe, bolt kit, exhaust gasket,and a few things to ware off i went home to our farm in Mae Sai northen Thailand looking forward to at long last getting my hands on my CRM 250 mk1 .. oh yah and my woman :D
It was good to get home but late at night the light in my work shop is not all that good, my first look at the old girl hummm the bike was going to need some TLC next morning when i really started going over it my heart sank.
At this point i would like to thank you Knackered and all the other guys on CRM250.com i have found just about everything i need to know on this site and where to buy parts to get the old girl running.
This is a letter in i sent to the German guy i got the bike off and he was saying nothing was wrong with the bike this is what i sent him back, and by the way this is a link to his tour company http://www.motorbike-adventure.com/moto ... eisen.html
Armin on the day my wife and brother went to pick up the bike your mechanic tried to start it , it fired then stoped and would not start so they put it in the back of our truck to take home. the bike was locked up in my workshop where it sat until got there. I did ask you if I needed parts for it you said nothing! On the day I got there I re-moved the carb and it had so much dirt and slime in it the jets were blocked and the float slid had worn groves in it and all rubber gaskets were no good. on draining the oil out of the motor I found that the motor was full and that the 2 stroke oil had drained in to the motor ( the seal on the oil pump is worn out ) next I find that the clutch selector where the cable pulls on it POPs out and had a peace broken out of the bottom of it and it was clear that this had been a problem for a long time as I could clearly see where it had been tapped back in many times and the push rod that fits in to it that pushes the clutch plates has been grinded and worn down because the push out bearing was had it and not spinning and that means the rod is to short to push out the clutch plates so no clutch, and all so the clutch plates two were warped and the gasket for that side of the motor was black silicon and leaking. There was 2 motor mount bolts missing! back brake master cylinder worn out the rubbers all had it so no back brakes. Back shock all seals cracked and had been bottomed out so many times that it unfixable. Front forks seals in both are leaking .. I have tried to work out what make and model they are and I forgot to measure it for seals so .. Can you tell me ? or do I have to buy new forks for it ? the exhaust flange bolts are bent, and there was no exhaust gasket. The head gasket and bottom gasket were leaking as your mechanic used the old gaskets and silicon as was the same with the clutch housing gasket. The air box had no bolts at all in it, and no air filter or cage for one. The fuel tank had a crack in it on the left side where it pushes on to the rubber mounts on the frame. The chain guild was missing and lose spokes in back wheel one broken. Only the head light works I have not botherd to try and fix them for now it will not be that much trouble to fix. Armin as for you trusting your Thai mechanic that is up to you but as you can see what I have said was wrong with the bike and I am not bull shitting you I would not trust your mechanic. ... Now all the paper work that was given to Jiranunt when she went in to change the names they would not do it ! she paid the 3 years in Tax for it to get the tax sticker .... but as I have said you need to sign all copies with a pen not photo copies of your signature they will not except photo copies of your signature. You have our address to send them to it would be good if you could do before you leave Thailand.
So as you can see the old girl was in a bad way but i was determind to get it running, went to bike shops i needed gasket paper and carb cleaner 'got the gasket paper easy enough but the Thai's just looked at me as if i was stupid about a spray can of carb cleaner. Later that day we went to Tesco to do some food shopping i was looking around and bugger me there it was spray cans of carb cleaner :D
24 hours later after pulling the head and barrel off my home made gaskets on, the carb cleaned the best i could do, a home made air filter ,the crack in the fuel tank fixed i was happy to find it had good compression and the old girl started second kick. So with no clutch or back brake i was going to at least have one ride on the bike our farm is on the back roads along the botton of the mountains the Burma border is 10 min ride up the mountain anyway went for a 30 min ride and the old girl pulled really well i was surprised with how good it run. I came across a guy riding a CRF 250L one of the new ones they make them in Thailand you can buy one for about $4000 on road anyway gave him a bit of a drag on a straight part of the road and left him for dead :D
I am now back at work in Australia and have been shopping for parts from http://www.rinkya.com/membership/search ... nda+crm250 where i have got another complete motor for donor parts, another back shock, another carb off a mk3 and intake rubber and reed block, crab rubber kit, set of jets and a complete back brake set up all for just over $500 the down side it cost me another $550 to fly it over here. New front and back mudguards and from UFO. http://japan.webike.net/HONDA/CRM250/172/m/ got the stainless pro Skill expansion chamber just hope my pro circuit 304 tale pipe will fit if not i will make it, a new head light cowl. From http://www.leisuretrail.co.uk/Crm%20accessories.htm complete gasket set, seat cover, clutch plates, chain guild assembly Boyesen two stage reeds.
Some stuff from the local shop, XR400 air filter , new chain, gear shift for a CR500 so on i think my front forks are a set of 1991 CR125 but am still playing with the idea to buy a set for a CR250 and yes everthing has cost nearly 2 times more than what i paid for the bike but it's all good. later this year i will do before and after photos for anyone that is interested.
Thanks again for all the help and knowledge.
Cheers Brad