knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Intermittant mis-fire

Post by knackeredMk1 » 18 Feb 2013, 16:48

Three things before you panic -

Take the cables off the PV and feel the movement with your fingers. If it is sticking or not take the PV out and give it a good clean.

Take the cables off at both ends and check that they move freely and smoothly.

Take the cover off the PV servo and check if everything is OK - no missing teeth or clogging grit etc.....

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 AR

Post by Active Rascal » 18 Feb 2013, 18:32

Steve,

I've just tried all this before even reading your reply.

The engine was re-built when the bike was, power valve was completely cleaned before, and it's still free as a whistle now!! The cables were brand new, and are not sticking. No mechanical faults inside the PV SM either.

Therefore mechanical faults eliminated; it must be electrical. I found no shorts or breaks on any of the 5 wires from the ECU to the PV SM. I Haven't checked wires to the throttle position sensor as it's difficult to get to. I'm not sure you can even test the TPS.

Therefore it's either the PV SM at fault (nothing looks obvious, but I have a spare to try out) or the dreaded ECU!! :(

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 18 Feb 2013, 18:36

Have you replaced the HT lead from the coil? It's a relatively easy job, I always commender putting a longer lead in as it aids plug changing.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by Active Rascal » 18 Feb 2013, 20:23

What confuses me is that the PV was stuck in the most shut position, past the alignment mark where it sits at idle. I didn't know it ever actually closed this much.

If it turns out to be ECU, I have a spare, and we have our Greek friend (hopefully) to fix the Mugen one but I'll have to buy a new rectifier/regulator.

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992

Post by pudzie83 » 20 Feb 2013, 16:37

i had a issue like yours when i first got my mk2 and it ended up been the loom not sure where as i just replaced it with one that had very little use and mine had been tampered with and butchered, If your bike has has a regulator fail at any time (which mine had) it can fry wires causing a weak current

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by Active Rascal » 03 Mar 2013, 20:36

Well, trip to Leisure Trail... new rectifier/regulator. Tried this on the bike with my spare ECU, no joy, still forcing the powervalve shut!! I tried a known working spare servo, still no joy!! Last one was to try a spare capacitor..... still the same!!

This narrowed it down to either the loom, or the throttle position sensor in the carb.

I re checked continiity, and found a faulty wire. This was showing as OK the other day. In the end it was the wire which does into on eof the pins had broken inside the ECU plug. It was a git to repair to be honest but I managed.

Not sure if I mentioned, but when fiddling behing the headlight I lost my spark completely. Upon closer inspection I found one if the wires had broken off my ignition switch!! The joys of offroad hey?! So for now I have bypassed it, unil I get it repaired or get a new one.

Probably a combination of all three things at the end of this, incorrect heat range plug for conditions causing plug fouling when at low revs, more recently powervalve problem, and no doubt the wire on the ignition switch didn't just break at once, so could have been another cause for intermittent poor running.

Anyway yesterday and today I've been working on the bike, re-built everything back as it should be, cleaned carb and put a fresh plug in.

I've uploaded a quick video to show you guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ1x9Vy5 ... e=youtu.be

Cheers all.

Shaun.

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pudzie83 » 03 Mar 2013, 22:08

you might want to be careful about bypassing the ignition and leaving it on as it eventually burns the stator unit/coils out on bikes i have a hidden push switch hooked up very simple and i never have to search for keys :)

Active Rascal
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:

Post by Active Rascal » 03 Mar 2013, 22:11

Does it?? Never heard this before?? Even when the engine's off?? I plan to fix my old one or get a new one ASAP anyway.

Cheers.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 03 Mar 2013, 22:16

pudzie83 wrote:you might want to be careful about bypassing the ignition and leaving it on as it eventually burns the stator unit/coils out on bikes i have a hidden push switch hooked up very simple and i never have to search for keys :)
:?: :?: No battery, or have I missed something.
Mike

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 03 Mar 2013, 22:17

No key, more chance of the casual scrote making of with your CRM, less chance the insurance company would feel the need to compensate your loss.
Mike

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pudzie83 » 03 Mar 2013, 22:20

you could be right about the battery bit, but ive had it happen on field bikes in the past i personally wouldn't leave it on

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pudzie83 » 03 Mar 2013, 22:26

and as for the no key bit..... disc locks,ram posts,baby monitor,big chains,alarms and a baseball bat :)