Ok, cheers.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM 250 Mk3
Re: Poor starting / running.

Post by fishtail » 21 Feb 2014, 13:01

knackeredMk1 wrote:Seals can go both ways depending how bad and where the damage is. If the generator side seal goes you only generally notice this as the engine running lean as air is sucked in and unless the damage is bad it is only a small amount of intake and unburnt gases that come out, which you might not notice. If the same fault applied to the drive side you would notice compression in the gearbox as the gases would go through the oil/gearbox and exit through a narrow pipe.
hmm - this is sounding a bit familiar? is the build up of gasses enough to blow oil out of say the kickstart oil seal?

blowing oil out of the breather hose? that happens if u overfill the oil level too?
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 21 Feb 2014, 14:41

Fishy,

Your engine was bad enought to blow the kickstart off. ;)

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 21 Feb 2014, 15:18

ahh so that's what did it...

if only there was a CRM expert in Hong KOng - even if briefly! :lol:

i have rode the thing into mong kok a few times... ;) ;) ;) ;) an I do have a set of nylon pannier :D

I only replaced crankseals what 8 months ago... new record? or crappy crankcase?
1996 CRM 250 "Mk 3" FMF pipe .... - the other 'un is a 98 hornet 600 - Sai Kung Hong Kong

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 21 Feb 2014, 15:28

Blowing crank seals won't put enough pressure on the kickstart oil seal to make it leak except in two situations -

They are really badly blowing.

The breather tube is blocked.

Payment gratefully received for a two week full board trip to HK :?: . One week to fix your bike and one week to recover ................

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 21 Feb 2014, 16:16

do u do nappy changes in the evenings as well? :D :D

hmm but I did have some oil gushin out of there a few times recently.. stained around 3 centimeter all around it.. as wll as the mystery oil leak... which turned out to be the breather / thru airbox drain...

las question - will u do russian airlines :D :D

:BB

rate my bike is goin - if I saw a fully refurbed mark 3 engine - I might be tempted.. especially if autographed by someone well known - made noises about buyin a KLX 450 with jus 600 miles on the clocs for about 4 grand - promptly veto'd by 'the manager'

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 21 Feb 2014, 16:45

Eliminate the obvious, stand the bike on level ground, remove the level plug on the side, allow any excess oil to drain out. try again.
Although I recommender it, perhaps try a different oil to ATF fluid, one with a bit more viscosity.If that all fails then revisit the seals, which are easy to tear the sealing lip of if not installed with a degree of care.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 22 Feb 2014, 12:28

TBH not too bothered about a bit of oil leak? the price of ATF is good for me.. monthly oil change is ok..

plannin a big service on mon - carb clean - swop clean air filter - gearbox oil change,.

gonna do the FMTB's sink cleaner coolant overflow bottle idea... It might be that I'm spittin a bit of coolant out - and after a few spits - the coolant level is down - an then over heats - causing poor running?

also I nottice I lost a few teeth on me coolin fans... so thats one more thing.. personally I'd rather jus ride the thing cos I'm busy now - but nippin out for an hour a few times a week is what I need for sanity sake ( workin at home screamin kids - need the peace!!! )

if it is my crank seals - can I do them with the engine in?

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 22 Feb 2014, 18:00

fishtail wrote:TBH not too bothered about a bit of oil leak? the price of ATF is good for me.. monthly oil change is ok..

plannin a big service on mon - carb clean - swop clean air filter - gearbox oil change,.

gonna do the FMTB's sink cleaner coolant overflow bottle idea... It might be that I'm spittin a bit of coolant out - and after a few spits - the coolant level is down - an then over heats - causing poor running?

also I nottice I lost a few teeth on me coolin fans... so thats one more thing.. personally I'd rather jus ride the thing cos I'm busy now - but nippin out for an hour a few times a week is what I need for sanity sake ( workin at home screamin kids - need the peace!!! )

if it is my crank seals - can I do them with the engine in?

Yes.

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 24 Feb 2014, 14:34

well I was pre-ignitin a lot on the las 30 min of me ride on thurs - all the way home too ( which is all of 5 min up road )

checked plug today ( hadnt rode since ) totally diff colour - no longer rowntrees choclate brown,,, almost cig ash - or nicotine stained teeth - defo *much* lighter

coolant was down - ( skid plate an fron of radiator - a bit green :) ) = had to put in I guess 300 or so ml to top it up

ATF oil was still seeping out the inspection bolt so oil level is good ( or over )

also my fans ( not over engineered :D ) had disconnected em selve

also put the coolant bottle back on - catch over flow - swopped the clean airfilter - ( non clean wasnt that bad - but a few leave fragments etc in there )

seems to have run pretty well after that on todays ride... had a good 15 min non stop hill climb sitation - seemed way better than b4 -

havent checked if it lost coolant but I will have a look b4 nex ride//

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 24 Feb 2014, 17:01

If you have a good seal around the pipe where it enters the ad hock collection vessel, it should replenish the radiator itself, when the vacuum effect of the cooling system puts a negative pressure on the system, in theory :!: :!: best not relied upon though.
Mike

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 24 Feb 2014, 17:11

is the coolant boilin over a symptom of an air leak/ preignition?

or is the pre-ignition caused by lack of coolant ( from no coolant bottle before )

luckily I got the original Honda coolant bottle - so today when I stopped at top o big bouldery bugger hill ( not official name ) I heard lots of weird an wonderful gurgles- for quite some time. but no clouds of steam like normal.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 24 Feb 2014, 18:02

fishtail wrote:is the coolant boilin over a symptom of an air leak/ preignition?

or is the pre-ignition caused by lack of coolant ( from no coolant bottle before )

luckily I got the original Honda coolant bottle - so today when I stopped at top o big bouldery bugger hill ( not official name ) I heard lots of weird an wonderful gurgles- for quite some time. but no clouds of steam like normal.
Most likely the second. Had you thought of trying some of that waterless coolant? Or better quality to fans to assist cooling duties.
Mike

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 24 Feb 2014, 18:23

FMtB +1

fishtail
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fishtail » 25 Feb 2014, 08:56

fallenmikethebike wrote:
fishtail wrote:is the coolant boilin over a symptom of an air leak/ preignition?

Most likely the second. Had you thought of trying some of that waterless coolant? Or better quality to fans to assist cooling duties.
Mike

thanks M+S :) - waterless coolant? is it red stuff? havent heard of it. got a ride on thurs - so will see how that goes.. I gotta couple more fans I can put in..

lets see how the cookie CRM-bles..