HID Headlight kit

Ewan67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
HID Headlight kit

Post by Ewan67 » 20 Mar 2014, 22:39

Was looking for a better bulb after mine blew. Brighter halogen was £20 from Halfords. Found the HID kit below on eBay for £20 delivered. Fitting was dead easy. Simply plugged new light loom into my existing H4 bulb plug. The additional electronics are fairly bulky but I managed to fit them behind the headlight. Haven't been out on road yet, but it is proper bright. If it lasts I'll be well happy.
Mk 2. Full DEP system. Boyesen Rad Valve and PWK33. Stan Stephens stage 2 tune. Wiseco piston. No balance shaft. Trailtech Vapor.

kernow crusty
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
Re: HID Headlight kit

Post by kernow crusty » 20 Mar 2014, 22:56

HI Ewan,
Ive been looking at HID kits for my British bike too but havent got round to trying it yet, so I'll be interested to hear how yours performs. I did some research on HID kits and there is a bit of scaremongering about cheap kits and the power units, but at £20, I guess its well worth a punt. Wonder how vibration/off road proof they are? I also chatted to a guy at a bike show who does mainly bike electrical bits about HID and he had tried a kit but said he had issues over the main beam/dip system they use on HID, as you havent got a seperate filament in the bulb and also the beam pattern. Be good to get some real world feedback.
Regards kc

Ewan67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Ewan67 » 21 Mar 2014, 08:34

Hi KC,

I've also read about cheap HID kits. Some were offering just a brighter halogen bulb. This is a genuine HID kit but the reflector of my headlight is obviously designed for an ordinary bulb. When I tested it against the wall of my house, the main beam was a good concentrated beam. The dip however, although dimmer, seemed to shine everywhere. I don't really ride at night so will really just be using it as a running light. I'll keep you posted.
Mk 2. Full DEP system. Boyesen Rad Valve and PWK33. Stan Stephens stage 2 tune. Wiseco piston. No balance shaft. Trailtech Vapor.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 21 Mar 2014, 16:24

Will the ministry man judge them as legal tender, or will they have to be swapped over once a year?
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

kernow crusty
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by kernow crusty » 23 Mar 2014, 13:44

HI Mike,
Good point...my electrical man at the show also made that point that he didnt know of any that were approved and it would very likely have to be swopped out for MOT.
The appeal on my AJS is that they use less power to give a good light..supposedly about 35w, and thats handy when youve only got a dynamo!!
kc

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Mar 2014, 15:43

From memory I thought AJS fitted H.I.D as OM.E., obviously they were years ahead of the game in that respect.
I believe they also pioneered CDI, again years before the Japanese got on the band wagon, 8-]] .
Mike

kernow crusty
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by kernow crusty » 23 Mar 2014, 22:19

Blimey Mike, I didnt think that stuff leaked out from the factory...you have good contacts.
The H.I.D system was pioneered by Lucas, although back then it stood for Highly Intermittent Dynamo, followed by the revised system that became Hugely In the Dark.
Your contact was a little confused on the CDI though..it was actually the KDI system... Kick Down Intensely....that they offered.
Mind you, they had far more success in offering anti lock brakes.... :-(

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 23 Mar 2014, 22:26

Mind you, they had far more success in offering anti lock brakes....
I thought that was more to do with their fuel efficiency drive, actually achieving double digit levels of MPG.
Mike

kernow crusty
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by kernow crusty » 25 Mar 2014, 08:19

The 350 is good on fuel....on a trip round France a few years back it averaged over 85mpg....at 55mph...and about 1gpm (gallon per mile) on oil!! Leaked..not burnt. :roll: :roll:

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 25 Mar 2014, 18:17

The 350 is good on fuel....on a trip round France a few years back it averaged over 85mpg....at 55mph...and about 1gpm (gallon per mile) on oil!! Leaked..not burnt.
Well that could be quite a useful trait, at least you would know when you got back to where you started from, and left a handy continuous way marker for others to follow.
Mike