Mk2 starts but wont rev

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: Mk2 starts but wont rev

Post by knackeredMk1 » 11 May 2014, 17:08

I'm sure I've got a Mk1/2 ignition coil. - Try it for the cost of the postage?. PM me your address.

With regards to testing the pickups you should be able to test pulses on a decent auto tester. Obviously they are working at idle which would suggest they are OK. Check the connections for rust anyway.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 11 May 2014, 20:31

Yep, watched the video, I reckon its your coil.

Its common for them to break down, but usually at a higher rpm, it used to happen on points ignition bikes years ago, if you forgot to turn the ignition off it burnt the coils, you could start but not rev the engine.

Parky265
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Parky265 » 12 May 2014, 21:51

knackeredMk1 wrote:I'm sure I've got a Mk1/2 ignition coil. - Try it for the cost of the postage?. PM me your address.

With regards to testing the pickups you should be able to test pulses on a decent auto tester. Obviously they are working at idle which would suggest they are OK. Check the connections for rust anyway.
Thanks for the kind offer. The chap who I bought it from has a spare coil so I'm gonna try that but it is a bugger of a problem. I'm also in touch with Zeeltronic who make CDi units for YPVS and others to see if Borut will make units for the CRM. They are programmable and control the power valve too to get the best out of the motors.
Watch this space.... ;)

Parky265
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Parky265 » 15 May 2014, 20:53

Tried a new coil tonight and.....no change. :roll:

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 15 May 2014, 21:14

Find another MK2 owner and start swapping parts, including ECU (yours onto theirs).

jm38
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk 2

Post by jm38 » 23 May 2014, 09:56

it sounds like mine went when running with duff rectifier headlights on indicating and braking it did similar untill i turned out the lights .it was fine untill i used all the amps for lighting then it robbed the sparks also try your cdi on a mates bike as they like to bugger up together.

Parky265
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by Parky265 » 01 Jun 2015, 15:22

Just a tail piece to the above....I sourced a new CDi on ebay. it was a Chinese unit and although it didn't start as well it did rev. Next job was lights so after cleaning out a ton of crud from the switch I fired it up and switched them on which immediately blew the bulbs. Next the bike cut out and refused to start again. Swapped back to the non revvy cdi started up and hey presto 38v at the bulb holder.
It would appear that the reg/rec has gone. It may also have taken the new cdi down with it.
So here are 2 questions....1. Anyone selling a MK11 reg. (if not please see Q2). 2. Does anyone want a CRM MK11 in need of a reg £600?

Lukep749
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Lukep749 » 01 Jun 2015, 22:47

Hi

I had a similar problem with the two MK 3 after re build, re bore and carb cleaning.

Luckily I had a spare bike so changed parts until I got to the bottom of the problem, mine was the carb, I found that the bike was getting too much fuel, worked this out by running the bike with the fuel switched off, just before the fuel ran out the bike run perfect, I adjusted the float height, jets, pins etc, in the end I bought a second hand carb, put it on and hey presto run perfect. Still puzzled why the original carb would not run the bike properly and will get to the bottom of the problem.