Swing arm engine mount removal.

hetasfireplacefitter
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Swing arm engine mount removal.

Post by hetasfireplacefitter » 30 Aug 2014, 20:04

Evening all [WHITE SMILING FACE] She is completely apart (mk2)...apart from the last engine mount swing arm bolt. I've got the 22mm nut off and the spindle spins freely but it just won't budge through the frame, engine and swing arm.
I'm sure it needs a good whack but honestly my best and hardest whack is not shifting it...start crying or anyone have a trick or two to share? It does just push through right?

cuppa tea n a fag. Crmbozo.

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Swing arm engine mount removal.

Post by twistednuts » 30 Aug 2014, 20:30

:D the dreaded swingarm pivot bolt!!

Im not bein ignorant or owt, but theres loads about freeing it already on the site - have a search dude ;)

Good luck

hetasfireplacefitter
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by hetasfireplacefitter » 30 Aug 2014, 21:43

I see now after a little search that this is one of those use a bigger hammer jobs.

twistednuts
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by twistednuts » 31 Aug 2014, 00:06

Not necessarily a bigger hammer, its all in the wrist action :shock: Oohhhh maayytron!!

Its more about keeping the frame wedged so it doesnt absorb the thwack of the hammer force. Good to leave it soaking overnight in some plusgas or the like.

You might need to make a big pot of that tea...

MikeWaller
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by MikeWaller » 31 Aug 2014, 07:32

When I removed mine I had the hole in the centre of the bolt the head of the bolt took a 10 mil tap .l tapped it about a 1" in placed a large 6 mil thick washer over the top of frame lug being careful not to trap rear brake pedal get a m10 bolt run a nut up the bolt screw it though the plate into the bolt run the nut down to the plate making a puller out of it and then brass drift on the other side the pressure of the pull and the shock of the hammer hit shock started it moving then some threaded bar and a old box spanner to draw with plenty of diesel spray

hetasfireplacefitter
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by hetasfireplacefitter » 31 Aug 2014, 14:26

Lots of swearing later...its out! I made up some oak drifts. just big enough to fit nicely into the frame and onto the end of the bolt. Made them about a foot long and got the big persuader to tap the end. Split 3 but protected it all nicely. One of the bearings had shattered so that didn't help but all done. Now the yokes are the only bit left on the frame and of course they are stuck solid aswell. Thanks for the tips guys.