I am a little confused about my MK1

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CR500/CRM250MK3
I am a little confused about my MK1

Post by mudboots » 11 Nov 2014, 22:05

After reading about 2smokes output shaft it sort of come to me as far as I know I have a CRM250mk1 "but the mk1 is supposed to have a washer and nut to hold on the front sprocket YES ! Mine dos not !
I have a spare mk2 motor for spare parts and I have tried fitting the right side clutch covering and as stated the water pump baring is about 1 mm different in size 'no problem got another baring. 'but that being said I must have a mk1 motor ?
So I can only think at some point in the bikes life before I become it's owner the main output shaft has been changed to a mk2 or later one I am not sure ?
My bike has only 5 gears but my mk2 has 6 gears so can a later shaft be put in and leave the 6th gear out ?
One of these days it will be time for a full rebuild and I may find out the answers when its all in pieces.
Here are some photos.
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w53 ... a9342f.jpg
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w53 ... 20dba4.jpg
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w53 ... f4f031.jpg

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1
Re: I am a little confused about my MK1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 12 Nov 2014, 11:14

OK. Several things to check.

Engine number.
Frame number.
Take the generator cover off and take a photo please.
How many 'black boxes' do you have? One under the seat, but is there also one under the RHS number panel?
Very unusual sealing for the drive sprocket.

Why do you think it is a Mk1?

From what I can see ;

USD forks - Mk2
Boost bottle on top of carb inlet tube - Mk1
Output shaft - Not sure - Is there thread on the hole in the middle?

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CR500/CRM250MK3

Post by mudboots » 12 Nov 2014, 20:31

Thank for replying Knackered when I first joined up I posted a pic of the bike and you said you were pretty sure it was a mk1.
I am in Australia right now I fly back home to Thailand tomorrow "that is if I can get to the bloody airport here in Brisbane I could not have picked a worse day to fly out with all this G 20 leaders arriving the same day but I will be home Saturday afternoon,
Frame number I have ( MD 24-10015/0 ) have added a pic.
engine number I will have to give when I get back.
and the same for the generator photo.
as for the forks they are a set of 1991 cr125 forks this I am sure of but I have seen a old photo on the web from the guy who owned it before and there was yet another USD set of forks on it but it was set up as supermoto.
Yes the bike has 2 black boxes one on top the other under right hand side panel.
there dos seem to be as you call it a boost bottle that comes off the air box.
and no there is no thread in the hole in the middle of the output shaft.
And as I have said I got a mk2 motor from japan and on trying to fit the side cover on to my bike the water pump shaft was that 1mm to big so the baring I removed from the inner casing on my motor matches the size you have said is the size of the mk1 went and got a new one with the inside D that 1.mm whatever bigger and it fit no problem.
It's just a bit of a mystery that I would like to work out that's all and thanks for any help you can give in solving it :)
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w53 ... d132bf.jpg
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w53 ... e4e8b3.jpg

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 12 Nov 2014, 22:19

Everything you say makes this a Mk1 apart from the output shaft. I'm running with the idea that you have a 'special' gearbox. All CRMs should have six gears.

The output shaft on all CRMs are interchangeable with minimal work, the only issue is the seal system used as the Mk1 sealing system needs to have a bolt on sprocket to hold the seal (3 parts) together. The Mk2 onwards use a straight ordinary seal whilst the sprocket is fitted with two bolts and an offset plate. A previous owner of your bike seems to have swapped the output shaft and made some sort of sealing system which I believe you can replace, when it wears out, with a standard Mk2 + seal.

With regards to gears - You've obviously lost one. Either first or sixth as anything else would leave a massive gap. I changed the gearing on my Mk1 using Mk1 and Mk3 gears but had to use the Mk1 clutch shaft (only one that fits the Mk1 cases) which meant I had to do a very small amount of machining to a couple of the gears to make it fit. Maybe the owner trashed the Mk1 gear box and could only source later Mk parts and lost a gear in order to get it to fit?

maciej_mi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by maciej_mi » 26 Dec 2014, 21:27

Please send pics with this headlight front of crm. What brand?