MK1 back shock nearly buggerd again my second one.

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CR500/CRM250MK3
MK1 back shock nearly buggerd again my second one.

Post by mudboots » 30 Nov 2014, 01:23

This is really for Knackered you had photos up of your re build of your MK1 where you did a mod to fit a XR250R back shock I have looked but no longer can I find those pic's.
Went with two other guys last Sunday on a big ride up and I mean up in to the Mountains west of Chiang Rai here in Thailand very rutted steep and slippery not for an inexperienced rider the overall ride was about a 100 km.
One thing I did find out I need to change my gearing lower as I found my 14x45 gearing was to high more so first and second on very steep bits.
And I would say that yes I am missing 6th gear how and why I will find out one day when it's time for a full re build.
Anyway on the way back I noticed my back shock was getting way to soft. And we were riding a old rutted track along a river still very up and down came around a bend on top of a hill dropped down into it only to find a "stupid Thai guy and his wife in a beat up old 2 wheel drive truck! trying to get up the hill and had slid sideways I had no where to go locked the bike up and tried to scrap by but I ended up sliding sideways myself the back of my bike hit the front drivers side and I went flying smashed of his wing mirror with some part of my body and landed hard on my right wrist "yep right then and there I knew it was broken ! the back of my bike hit the truck right at the end of the seat tore my new seat cover :cry: and the back sub frame was bent to the left my mate strapped up my wrist with ducktape and I rode very slowly the 1 1/2 hours back to his place but dam it hurt.
the sub frame I have fixed yes even one handed it was not easy but I have done it.
my wrist is broken in 3 places so I will not be riding for a while now.
Theres a guy in Chiang Rai who says he can re build my back shock but I was thinking of putting the better XR250R shock on and would like to see the pic's you have on how you did yours again please.
I will post some photos later when I get the time.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: MK1 back shock nearly buggerd again my second one.

Post by fallenmikethebike » 30 Nov 2014, 09:53

:( That's a pi$$er.When I'm asked about trail speed by newbies I generally tell them that the appropiate speed for any trail is the distance you can safely stop in, before you hit something, though here that would tend to be different obstructions.
I hope it mends quickly, wrist can be complicated with so many bones coming together at one point.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 30 Nov 2014, 17:58

In my photos in the Specials etc section .....

You can see half the old bolt position on this shot and the new position above it. You need to cut everything out and then weld a thick washer on all four sides of the mount around the new bolt hole and then weld on the nut + strengthening -

mudboots
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CR500/CRM250MK3

Post by mudboots » 03 Dec 2014, 01:35

Okay thanks for that it would seem I need a MK2 back shock or a MK2 swing arm and linkages to do it.
there's a guy over in Chiang Mai that has a CRM he wants to sell he has said it has been sitting 5 years I have no idea what CRM it is at this point or how bad it is but if I can buy it cheap enough I will get it waiting to hear back from him.