2stroke
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk3
Help with crankcase bearings

Post by 2stroke » 07 Mar 2015, 19:15

Hello all!
Today I was fitting crankcase bearings and encountered 2 problems. Hopefully someone can help me.

1) Which way water pump seal goes into crancase? The one underneath the water pump bearing in a right crankcase. Does it seal water from the oil or oil from the water?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129446366 ... 743939682/

2) Other question is about 2 bearings of the same size. One is Output Shaft bearing (where sprocket mounts) and other one I think is Input Shaft bearing. One goes in left crankcase and other in right crankcase. Number 14 and 15 in CRM crankcase fiche. Leasure Trail supplied the bearings. One bearing is 1mm shorter and doesn't have bearing seal (number 15). But strange thing is that these two bearings I have removed from my bike are the same size/ same part number. Both with bearing seals on them and same size as 14. So I am not sure which one to install where. Looking at the fiche it seems that 15 goes to left crancase and 14 to the right. But that means that bearing without a seal goes to the left crankcase to the sprocket side. But Output shaft bearing surely must have a seal to prevent crap from the sprocket. Other bearing's other side goes into the clutch area. So that probably doesn't need a seal. So I am a bit lost and confused. And why my bike had same bearings? Someone didn't had the correct bearings? It was 66.00 bore so it doesn't look like it has been rebuild before. Or maybe it's Mk3 and AR differences? Please shed some light on it!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129446366 ... 537737427/

It was quite hard to remove clutch actuator bearings (2 small needle bearings stacked in a blind hole). I managed with bearing puller but other one is very deep and when I removed almost cracked. I imagine if it's f***ed in that hole -it probably would be imposible to remove it.

But the worst thing was trying to remove crankcase dowel pins. First one I buggered and had to grind it from insdide with dremel, chisel it, stick small screwdrivers and so on. Managed to collapse it in a hole and removed it. Nightmare. The other one welded bolt on it and it was better. And head dowel pin was seized (only one on my engine??) but had some stud puller and did it. Here is a picture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129446366 ... 719092256/

2stroke
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Help with crankcase bearings

Post by 2stroke » 09 Mar 2015, 09:53

So Leisure Trail just clarified that bearing 14 is Input shaft bearing and 15 - Output. Now just need to know which way the waterpump seal goes in...

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 15 Mar 2015, 20:18

I dont know the answer but I would guess it seals the water from the oil. Logic is the water is pressurised when up to temp and the oil is not.
Dont take my word for it though just phone LT and ask them.

helisupp
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: CRM AR (4)

Post by helisupp » 15 Mar 2015, 21:35

2 stroke,

Not being funny or anything, but it may be helpful next time if you take photos during dismantling, it helps when later reassembling, and for anybody else who has a problem.

Yes, oil sealed from water, hi pressure to low pressure.

Keep us posted how it's going.......and how much it's costing.

2stroke
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by 2stroke » 16 Mar 2015, 09:37

Hi guys! I was taking pictures, but you know how it is- at that time wasn't thinking it's important. I knew I could call engine builder at LT on Saturday, (I will call) but couldn't wait and fitted it the other way beause figured oil seal will seal oil and water pump seal at the impeler will seal water. I will call LT and if they will confirm I will change. Never thought about water being pressurized. Regarding cost I keep track and post then bike is ready( soon... :)) Thanks!